Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Truck tire load ratings

Ok doing lots of research. Let's make sure I got this right. Lots of sites I've been on say don't worry about the wall size it's the max lbs to worry about??? Also the same tire I have in E wall is the same lbs. And there are some D walls that can handle more lbs than the E walls. Obviously there's some type of engineering is going on. But it seems logically if both carry the same amount of pounds and one has thicker walls you think it would be safer with the thicker walls.? But if the other can handle it it shouldn't have a problem? Am I just going crazy??

youll be fine unless you want to run the factory psi so the TPMS light wont come on (depending on the year). They have a load rating of 121 correct? they are good.

A good tire thread is hard to beat. According to Hankook's web site Dynapro AT's in 315/70/17 have a load index of 118 http://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-dynapro-at-m-rf10.html. This equates to a load rating of 2910 lbs per the Tire Load Index Chart from Tires Plus http://www.tiresplus.com/shop-for-tires/tire-buying-guide/tire-load-index-chart/.

For for this is a total GVWR carrying capacity of 11,640 lbs which is actually a load range "margin" of 435 lb's per tire given the 9900 weight you supplied. This should still be plenty of margin if you don't overload your truck or tongue weight.

As for the "D" vs. "E" thing, you are correct that it isn't very helpful for exactly the reasons you stated. I would go with the index and not the old alpha rating. Here is my personal example of why this is so:

My '04 2500 Ram currently runs GY MT/R 285/70/17 and they have a load index of 121 or 3197 lbs at 65 psi nominally rated "D." The BFG Long Trail T/A's in 265/70/17E that came with the truck from the factory (note the "E") have a 3190 lb load rating at 80 psi. Yes these are rated "E." The BFG's blew up with less than 20k on them because I actually took them on several "long trails" before carrying a load of Boy Scouts to Philmont where one on the front blew out a 6" pie slice from the side wall at 65 mph outside Heber. I have run two sets of the MT/R's and they never let me down. If you ever see my truck you will note it gets used for what is was made for. So which is better? "E" or "D?" In this case it is pretty clear.

Moral of the story? Go with the weight index not the old letter rating. Worry more about construction than the rating as long as they are indicated by the manufacturer to "fit your truck." The number of plies in the sidewall and what they are made of really do matter. The Hankooks appear to be a single ply side wall. I would carry at least two spares if these were on my truck and maybe three just because of the single ply, not the "D."