iBowAZ

New rifle...looking for ammo. suggestion

Hi All,

I picked up this Tikka T3 243 Win. for my Coues hunt later this year. I've been digging around the internet trying to find factory ammo. and not really coming up with anything which would have me lean one way or the other. Accept, that all rifles are different and you might need to purchase a few brands, different grain weights, shoot a lot, etc. to figure it out.

At this point I'm fairly sure the grain weight I select should be between 85-105. I plan to zero the rifle at 200 and my max. distance is 500-600 yards. The scope I'm using is the Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 with the RZ8 reticle.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

post-4608-0-43385400-1471548606_thumb.jpg

I would keep your shots at a max of 500 with a 243 I hand load 95 gr sst

• Like 1

HSM-- Hands down the most accurate 'factory' ammo I've tried. I haven't shot it in .243 but I have used it in 25-06, 7RM, 7RUM, and 30/06 with outstanding results.

• Like 1

I second the HSM, they have it loaded with 95 grain Berger VLDs. Should hit like a hammer!

• Like 1

The only issue I have ever seen with HSM ammo was in my buddies .270. He had there factory loaded rounds with berger VLD's and the bullet would jamb into the lands hard. He had a Ruger American rifle and he could chamber and shoot rounds, but if he had to eject an unfired round the bullet would pull out of the case and dump the powder inside his gun, and he obviously still had the bullet jammed in the barrel. They had to knock it out with a cleaning rod. He did this twice before he ditched that box of ammo.

If you plan on shooting to 500-600, you better get to practicing.

A load developed for YOUR gun would be best. Otherwise, start with a couple good boxes and try them out to see what shoots best in your rifle.

• Like 1

A load developed for YOUR gun would be best. Otherwise, start with a couple good boxes and try them out to see what shoots best in your rifle.

If you don't reload nows the time to start. Plus 243 is a very forgiving chambering. Normally extremely accurate with minimal development.

• Like 1

I just got a tikka t3x ctr in 6.5 creedmoor and factory hornady eldx 143 precision hunter ammo shoots 1/2 moa 100 yards they all are going through the same hole.

HSM-- Hands down the most accurate 'factory' ammo I've tried. I haven't shot it in .243 but I have used it in 25-06, 7RM, 7RUM, and 30/06 with outstanding results.

I second the HSM, they have it loaded with 95 grain Berger VLDs. Should hit like a hammer!

Thanks...sounds like I should give these a go.

• Like 1

Thanks for info. I don't have the time or space to get into reloading right now, nor do I shoot enough to justify the expense, maybe in the future. 500-600 is the plan, based on previous success, but once I find a place to shoot long and start shooting, then I'll know my max. with this rifle.

I just got a tikka t3x ctr in 6.5 creedmoor and factory hornady eldx 143 precision hunter ammo shoots 1/2 moa 100 yards they all are going through the same hole.

Thanks for info. This is one of the rounds I was thinking about.

HSM ammo wouldn't shoot worth a darn in my 243. I used barnes 80gn ttsx and it shot lights out. My wife dropped a small buck at 400 yards. It didn't take another step. I now reload my own but I still use the barnes bullets in it.