Sign in to follow this  
elkhutnaz

Good rut???

Spent last couple days in 7east and thinking with weather and rain we might get a decent rut for early archery hunts

Any thoughts?post-1940-0-80425900-1471569756_thumb.jpegpost-1940-0-80425900-1471569756_thumb.jpeg

Some days will be awesome and some will suck and some will be just ok...... Every elk season is pretty much the same as there are highs and low of the rut..... Heat can kill the daytime activity but when you sleep they are going ballistic... Pressure can change the bugle but they still breed the cows it's just quiet. Some days are what every hunter dreams about... If anyone can predict the rut or the intensity of it they would be a wealthy guy... Enjoy the roller coaster and shoot the bull you are looking for. Good luck

• Like 4

Some days will be awesome and some will suck and some will be just ok...... Every elk season is pretty much the same as there are highs and low of the rut..... Heat can kill the daytime activity but when you sleep they are going ballistic... Pressure can change the bugle but they still breed the cows it's just quiet. Some days are what every hunter dreams about... If anyone can predict the rut or the intensity of it they would be a wealthy guy... Enjoy the roller coaster and shoot the bull you are looking for. Good luck

Yup. Same general thoughts for all hunting.

I killed my biggest of 5 bulls last year on the worst rut day of the hunt! Pattern your elk. Even though they may not be talking doesn't mean their not there. Most of the big Bulls aren't callable. Get in close and let them make a mistake!

• Like 5

All signs point to a good rut. We could always use more rain but the range is looking good and antler growth is above average from what I've seen. Good luck!

I like to be mobile. If an area is cold ill try a different area or elevation. Sometimes no rutting behavior in one area and drive five miles down the road they are screaming their heads off. I have the 7e tag as well and all I can say is there are some epic bulls in there this year.

• Like 1

Good bad or otherwise I have a tag and I am going to enjoy every minute of it. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have an elk tag. At my age I am looking at this as possibly the last archery bull elk tag I will ever have. I am going to make the most of it.

• Like 10

Exactly what I experienced up north couple days ago. Bulls sounding off in every direction one night, scarcely a peep the next.

I was in 6A two weeks ago after the heavy rains and they were bugling pretty good very early morning. Definitely pre-rut though,but the cooler weather got them going.

yep, heard some bugling and saw plenty of monster bulls with shredded velvet in 6a. Seeing lots of herds of 50+... Of course, I don't have an elk tag this year, womp womp.

• Like 1

Hoping it kicks off good this year. Weather needs to start cooling off quick tho

Hoping it kicks off good this year. Weather needs to start cooling off quick tho

Had to turn my heater on yesterday when the high was 62, that quick enough?

• Like 1

getting there haha. I wonder if the storm the weekend before will set up some good rut action for the opener.

It's been my opinion that if the Bulls have plenty of water sources and plenty of feed its a good rut with lots of bugling. Just my opinion.

• Like 2