Shooter McGavin

Youth rifle poll....... Need some input

All my older kids did really well when they were younger with 257 weatherby im building a 260 Remington for my 10 year-old

Is 257 Roberts a bad word here? I used my savings to buy one out of the Republic classifieds when I was 12. My pops paid to have it bedded by Scott Medisha. Still have it. It shoots sub .750. I like the 1/4bores

110 gr partition @ 165ish yds broke a rib on the way in and went lung,heart,lung and broke two ribs on the way out. There are much better bullets out now for .25 cal than in the early 90's.

Started my daughter on a 6.5 x 55 custom built. With that said, I would go 243. What I started on and wish I still had it. Great deer rifle.

I have an Older Swedish Mauser sporterized by Kimber in 6.5x55 that my kids will probably start on. I like less popular chamberings though so my kids will likely not shoot alot of the mainstream calibers. I picked up a Ruger M77 in 7x57 mauser for the main purpose of it being the rifle for my second son.

Is 257 Roberts a bad word here? I used my savings to buy one out of the Republic classifieds when I was 12. My pops paid to have it bedded by Scott Medisha. Still have it. It shoots sub .750. I like the 1/4bores

I wouldn't say it is a bad word I just think it is a way to often overlooked Cal I love 1/4 bore my go to is a 25/06 and one day will have a 257 rob just to have

I would love to have a 257 roberts AI as a kids rifle, and for me as I become and older man... I already don't like crazy recoil so a 257 AI would be light, sweet, and handy to carry and shoot later in. For now the 257 weatherby and 7mm Rem mag are what I am working with.

Right now the 6.5x55 is the back up rifle or rifle I will carry if the ranges are shorter or the hikes are longer. I am afraid my hunting buddy is going to steal it and carry it this elk season instead of his 3006.

I ended up with a .243 for my daughter. It shoot just a hair under moa with the two factory loads that I have tried.

It is such a light, compact rifle that I like it for myself too.

What is most important is that the younger shooter is slowly worked up to learn to handle the recoil.

I have the Remington model 7 in .243 and love that gun. Great kids gun, can't go wrong. Although I have been considering picking up a 7mm-08.

Creedmoor(a 6.5mm) with a muzzle brake

My kids love shooting this rifle

• Like 1

YOUTH Rifle, Mossberg 100 series, where there are spacers for the butt pad (increase LOP) as the kid grows,

YOUTH Rifle, Short action, Unfortunately the 257, 7X57, 6.5X55 etc are designed for a "medium action" Too long for a "short" action and too short for a "long" action.

YOUTH Rifle: 7-08 (7X57 ballistic twin) works in Short actions or a 243 though for YOUTH rifle I'd step up to the 7-08. PLUS when the kid grows, the gun can still have a full size stock and can be re-barreled to a 358 Win or 338 Fed.

My boys shoot 7mm-08

My girls shoot 243

My wife shoots 260

Take your pick all three are excellence for youth.

• Like 1