whiteeye

To all the archery "hunters" in 24A (Pinal Mt Area)

Really!! I hunt anything anywhere! Off the road and deep into canyons. I really hate driving past nice glassing vantage points. So if this glassing point is off the road road and I can see a mile out then please ol please tell my why do I need to hike a mile out to do some glassing when I can just jump out and check it out from the road. But I see your point from the moral hunting sort of code, that you need to make it an effort to get out and make it happen kind of thing. In my defense on that matter I always hike in and hunt, not before I glass off a few areas off the road first.

• Like 5

i don't understand #3 on your list, nothing wrong with stopping on the road glassing and finding a buck a mile out and then puting on a stock

• Like 2

i don't understand #3 on your list, nothing wrong with stopping on the road glassing and finding a buck a mile out and then puting on a stock

I agree. I've done this for years and have seen more 110 plus bucks from a road than you can shake a stick at. Heck i've glassed many 110 bucks from the side of the beeline highway on the way up to payson over the years alone. Roads are nothing but a bunch of glassing points that you don't have to walk to. The original poster doesn't have a clue obviously. In some country i would challenge any guy that hikes miles into back country with who sees more 100 inch plus bucks with me being on the road only.

• Like 2

I agree. I've done this for years and have seen more 110 plus bucks from a road than you can shake a stick at. Heck i've glassed many 110 bucks from the side of the beeline highway on the way up to payson over the years alone. Roads are nothing but a bunch of glassing points that you don't have to walk to. The original poster doesn't have a clue obviously. In some country i would challenge any guy that hikes miles into back country with who sees more 100 inch plus bucks with me being on the road only.

There was an article on Rick Forest in Bowhunter magazine years ago where he said that this is how he hunts. He said he's there to find and stalk deer, not to hike, so he glasses from the road and then if he doesn't find something he likes he can jump in the truck and quickly get to another glassing point. I don't recall the exact wording, but that was the jist of it. It's hard to argue with someone that is successful in Az hunting as Rick is.

• Like 1

ps: if you guys don't know who Rick is, they have some really cool videos on youtube under the handle Az Extreme. This guy is 100% in beast mode when it comes to bowhunting.

• Like 1

why get so worked up over someone staying close to the road and not getting up early? isn't that exactly what YOU want? To have other hunters out of your area and away from you?

• Like 2

Yet another "everyone road hunts except me" I just do not understand the need to come and rant about people road hunting. If you were far enough in there, you would not know they were road hunting. Animals roam EVERYWHERE, some great bucks are glassed from main roads, some great bucks are found 5 miles from the nearest road. Road hunting should not affect non-road hunters. Hike in and you will not even know they are road hunting.....

I've found that the big bucks don't come into water until between 9am and 3pm. So I don't sit my tree stand until then. I sleep in until 8am and then head out. It has worked out almost every year for me.

• Like 4

I've found that the big bucks don't come into water until between 9am and 3pm. So I don't sit my tree stand until then. I sleep in until 8am and then head out. It has worked out almost every year for me.

i can confirm, sat 3 full days this weekend only saw deer between 9-3.

I'm gonna disagree with the OP. please sleep in till whenever or maybe just stay in camp and drink. Camp next to the road in clusters, and by all means drive the roads ( please don't let the driver drink) drive all dang day turn those roads to powder!! At least I know where you will be and probably not hurt the game populations! Please keep beer cans IN the truck. Thanks for spending money to hang out in the wild for a few days...

• Like 2

My father-in-law always said that he never killed a deer before 8:30 AM. And he killed many record book mule deer in his day. I would always respond to him that was because he never got out in the field to hunt before 8:30. Yes...........I would always get the son-in-law look back from him! I sure miss harassing him now that he is in the happy hunting ground.

• Like 1

Didn't matter where you were in the pinals this weekend. I had a guy pass me on a dirt bike on a hiking trail well over 1/2 mile from the road. Also had many antis up there. Firing off pistols screaming and yelling and what not. Lots of the usual in the pinals. Sat a blind onew day for the wife and had someone come right up to the blind and ask if we minded if they set there's up across from us on a different angle. Had a guy come through camp in the evening and explained he just needed to grab his feeder, he had already killed earlier in the day and didn't want to leave it out and have it get stolen. It's a wild time up there and no one cares.

Wow