Jdubbs07

2016 Archery Velvet Muley Down!!

Boy, what an emotional roller coaster ride this hunt was. Let me start from the beginning.

I spent 6 weekends in a row before opening weekend scouting my area. This is a unit that isn't known for many deer at all and requires serious scouting but my diligence seemed to have paid off when I found an area with a high density of deer in a relatively small area. Each weekend I spent out there before the hunt I was able to locate bucks. Each weekend was a new bachelor herd recorded. I was pumped and ready when it was time to leave for deer camp as I had a few bucks in mind that I wouldn't mind shooting. (I'm usually not very picky)

The day before the opener on Thursday we found a solid bachelor herd of bucks we decided we wanted to chase for opening morning. In the herd I recognized a few bucks from my previous trips but there seemed to be a new buck I had not seen before that joined up with them. He was a solid 5x4 that had great mass at his bases. He was now #1 on our hit-list. We video filmed him in awe and let them be for the evening.

Friday morning came and the bucks were no where to be found where we had left them the night before. I was bummed. However we were reluctant to find a another herd with some very bucks. I was able to make a shot on a 4x4 buck, however right before I shot the buck began to get weary and he started to move, and as he began moving my finger pulled the release out of fear. I was a split second too late. The arrow flew it's course perfectly as aimed, but the 4x4 managed to whirl around and the arrow glided swiftly behind his rump at 56 yards. MISS!! I was devastated.

Saturday we saw 2 small bucks but that was it along with some does later in the afternoon.

Sunday rolled around and as I had planned to hunt through Monday my buddies at camp would all be leaving Sunday afternoon so I planned to leave with them instead of hunting alone the rest of the hunt. That morning we got on a small herd of bucks and there was a decent wide 2x2 that I decided I would try for. At 52 yards I sailed an arrow in his direction only to be disappointed by the sound of my arrow ricocheting off a tree branch. Once again, devastated.

I ended up back on the same herd about 20 minutes later making a stalk on my hands and knees quietly approaching them through the trees. Somehow they managed to give me the slip in a thick area where they completely vanished from me. As I returned to the Polaris I noticed my brand new Vortex rangefinder that I had just purchased a few days prior was not in my pocket anymore. I was emotionally distraught by this time. With the help of my buddy and after an hour of searching, we were lucky enough to find my rangefinder. That was a huge relief.

After the early morning fiasco we decided to go return to the area where we had seen the 5x4 Thursday night but had not seen the bucks since. We thought we would give it one last shot. Boy, was that the best decision we made all weekend. Bedded less than a mile away from where we found him 3 nights prior was the big 5x4 with his other cronies. They were in a thick of trees on the edge of a canyon. I was able to slip an arrow into the big 5x4 at exactly 55 yards. The arrow tucked right in behind his front shoulder and as he ran off I could see the blood pouring out. I threw my bow to the ground and shouted "Smoked em' baby, smoked em!!!"

I was so ecstatic to walk up to this buck. He was bigger than I imagined and it was a awesome feeling knowing I had him on video just a few days earlier. We took pictures and got him cleaned up and caped out. Some of the best hunting memories I have were made this weekend. It was a blast chasing these beautiful monarchs and finally sealing the deal on my first ever archery velvet muley.

As my hunt ended and I drove back to the valley I couldn't help but think about everything that had transpired. From the misses I had on the two other bucks, to losing my rangefinder and so much more, it all led me to harvesting the buck I did in its own series of events. It was almost like it was meant to play out this way. I was truly humbled on this hunt and I am so grateful to have been able to harvest such an amazing creature.

Good luck to all those still out chasing big velvet muleys!!!

Enjoy!!

post-9494-0-81299600-1472001726_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-49706400-1472001736_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-56236500-1472001740_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-38908600-1472001750_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-92716500-1472001783_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-33142000-1472001791_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-45524900-1472001802_thumb.png

• Like 19

Beautiful buck and a heck of a good write up as well. Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Congrats on a great buck!

Heck of hunt for you guys.

Great write up and wonderful buck! Congrats!

Very nice! Another huge and beautiful velvet buck down this year. I can not wait to see what else comes in this year. I think we might see some giants from the late seasons too.