ricodabears

26 nosler

Does anybody have any experience with a 26 Nosler or done any research on this round? Everything I pull up says this round has as much energy at 1000 yards as a 300RUM. Any information would be helpful. I am thinking of building one off of a Savage 111 action.

It's a REAL hot 6.5, but I don't think it will beat a 300RUM @ 1000 yds for energy. Totally different animals though.

• Like 2

Stop the energy talk.....

Soooo 1960's. Energy means jack crap....

I would disagree here. E=m(v*v). I know there is a strong stance and arguments against weighing sectional density into the equation, but SD is in direct correlation to mass. Heavy bullets for caliber will produce higher BC bullets. Higher BC bullets mean sustained velocity over distance and improved terminal energy on target.

• Like 2

I just got my custom 26 from Montana rifle co. Got some factory nosler LR to brake in the barrel. But other then that I'm still learning. Been playing with my wife 6.5CM. I just ordered 100ct of the 120gr alco's for the 6.5cm & 160gr for the 26nosler. I'll pm you my number if you want anymore info.

I would disagree here. E=m(v*v). I know there is a strong stance and arguments against weighing sectional density into the equation, but SD is in direct correlation to mass. Heavy bullets for caliber will produce higher BC bullets. Higher BC bullets mean sustained velocity over distance and improved terminal energy on target.

Math or holes? I'll take holes. You can take the formula...

If you shoot enough stuff, you'll realize the energy BS is just that...

Holes kills stuff, not energy...

Either will kill a deer or elk at 1000 with proper bullet placement. But if you are shooting both with heavy for caliber bullets, the .300RUM pushing a 210 @ 3100 beats a 26 Nosler pushing a 160 @ 3200 by about 250ft/lbs @ 1000 talking just energy.

• Like 2

With good DOPE you can put holes in paper without enough energy to kill an animal at an identical range. Energy=penetration.

• Like 2

Both the 26 and 28 are shooters for sure. My buddy sent pix of groups from his 28 today with factory ammo and they were fantastic. That said they both burn a LOT of powder - more expensive to reload, shorter barrel life. If you go in knowing what the trade-offs are, you probably won't be disappointed. Kind of the Ferrari of rifles - high performance, high maintenance cost, not super longevity, but when you have them in their prime, pretty fun and impressive.

With good DOPE you can put holes in paper without enough energy to kill an animal at an identical range. Energy=penetration.

Bullet construction is more important to penetration than "energy"...

Math or holes? I'll take holes. You can take the formula...

If you shoot enough stuff, you'll realize the energy BS is just that...

Holes kills stuff, not energy...

my 338 lapua says otherwise

• Like 5