ricodabears

26 nosler

Last post on this thread for me. Cheers to the OP if you build it, I would love to see groups and DOPE. I have a customized Ruger No1 in 6.5x.284 that shoots ragged holes at 100 yds and can carry that same accuracy as far as I've stretched it yet. You can reasonably expect the 26 Nosler to get 150-200 fps faster with a 140 grain bullet than I can achieve and blow me out of the water with a 160gr bullet.

So who has a bigger dick, energy or holes?? I'm confused now? Since anything from a .17 up to a 700 nitro and beyond will in fact kill a deer (.22 centerfire being minimum legal of course). Although there are kill shots made past 500 yards all the time I'm gonna say the majority are under that even if the gun is capable of longer distances and the shooter practices out to a mile.

• Like 2

So who has a bigger dick, energy or holes?? I'm confused now? Since anything from a .17 up to a 700 nitro and beyond will in fact kill a deer (.22 centerfire being minimum legal of course). Although there are kill shots made past 500 yards all the time I'm gonna say the majority are under that even if the gun is capable of longer distances and the shooter practices out to a mile.

Usually the person who has spent the most $$$$. But we do have some pretty knowledgable/experienced people here.

Usually the person who has spent the most $$$$. But we do have some pretty knowledgable/experienced people here.

I'm broke so that means.........? Dam!!!!!

It's honestly as easy as those who can shoot. Bullets are way more important than headstamps.

butt shots with lots of "energy" is just that...

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions and to the people that reached out to me thank you. I will be getting in contact with you soon as I plan to start this build fairly soon.

archery kills with a slicing action of the razor blades to cause large scale bleeding, rifles use hydraulic expansion to destroy tissue and create a wound cavity

• Like 1

archery kills with a slicing action of the razor blades to cause large scale bleeding, rifles use hydraulic expansion to destroy tissue and create a wound cavity

Huh. Does hydraulic expansion cause holes?

Anybody that says energy doesn't matter is outside of their mind. Would you rather get hit with a 100mph baseball or a 100mph bowling ball? The whole shot placement is king does matter, but energy=trauma=death. Just for the internet police here, not saying I condone it but i could gut shoot any coues out there with my lapua and it dies....nearly instantly. Same shot with other calibers, not so much.....i watched a big bull elk literally get his lung sucked through his diaphragm and poke out near the hip due to hydraulic pressure this year. I'm thinking a lesser cartridge would not do the same

• Like 2

Want to stay out of this...but I can't. It is true that energy isn't the most important part of external ballistics. Having said that, a hunter/shooter ignores energy at his own peril. Does hydraulic expansion cause holes? Nope - a bullet does that. But the internal damage caused by the shock wave of said bullet (read hydraulic expansion) can and does considerably more damage than the bullet wound channel itself. I have double-lunged several elk/deer only to find on opening them up that the liver had been torn in two. That shock wave or energy transfer is what puts the animal down quicker. As stated, the correct bullet selection for the application is important - but largely because that selection is what usually transfer the bullets energy to the animal the quickest and most completely.

Correct bullet selection can often compensate for average accuracy or energy transfer. Great energy transfer can often compensate for average bullet selection or accuracy. To my mind, the hunter needs to consider and utilize all three: bullet selection (better described as terminal ballistics performance), energy transfer (a very close cousin to hydraulic expansion) and accuracy to make the most ethical shot he is capable of making. Our quarry deserves nothing less.

• Like 3

Lots of Field and Stream readers who need to stop reading magazines and go kill stuff and figure stuff out. Stuff ain't too complicated unless you wanna make it so.

I can see calculators in the field doing some math real fast to make sure that deer at 300 yards will die (as Kentucky windage is calculated probably.) Energy is really far down this list of stuff to worry about when killing something.

Some great points brought up in the above posts and while I agree things can be over-analyzed, the converse is often true as well.

Big or Bust, nice buck in your avatar, what did you shoot him with?