Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Don Martin

Opening day archery Az Strip buck!

Thought I would share with you a story about a guide of ours at Arizona Wildlife Outfitters; Cody Jalbert and his 2016 archery hunt success.

Cody drew an archery tag for the Arizona Strip (Unit 13B) and he and I took a couple of scouting trips up there so I could show him some areas I thought he should look at on his hunt.

On the second trip Cody found an awesome main frame 4x4 that he said he wanted to try and take.

The evening before his hunt started, about two weeks later- he relocated the buck--who had 6 other bucks with him, on the same mountain within a 100 yards of where he had first seen him!

Opening morning, Cody was able to get to within 20 yards of the old buck and arrowed him.

Not too bad huh?

post-11017-0-04393500-1472544000_thumb.jpg

Just goes to prove you don't have to spend $5-7 thousand on a guide up there to take a giant buck!

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

• Like 16

"No big deal!..........Drive 8 hours...........relocate a giant 4x4 mule deer............walk up to him the next morning and smoke him!" Some guys have all the luck or skill, however you want to look at it! Good job!

Thought I would share with you a story about a guide of ours at Arizona Wildlife Outfitters; Cody Jalbert and his 2016 archery hunt success.

Cody drew an archery tag for the Arizona Strip (Unit 13B) and he and I took a couple of scouting trips up there so I could show him some areas I thought he should look at on his hunt.

On the second trip Cody found an awesome main frame 4x4 that he said he wanted to try and take.

The evening before his hunt started, about two weeks later- he relocated the buck--who had 6 other bucks with him, on the same mountain within a 100 yards of where he had first seen him!

Opening morning, Cody was able to get to within 20 yards of the old buck and arrowed him.

Not too bad huh?

attachicon.gifIMG_1995.jpg

Just goes to prove you don't have to spend $5-7 thousand on a guide up there to take a giant buck!

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

You are a guide that takes people to the strip, why would he hire another guide? Great animal!

• Like 2

Dang, awesome buck!

Congrats to Cody on an awesome buck!!!!!

Your last statement has me scratching my head though. 1.) You are yourself an outfitter but are boasting about not using one. 2.) Cody appears to be a guide himself and apparently got "outfitter" info from you on where to go.

It would be similar to myself being a guide that works for Matt Schimberg. I draw a tag for myself and bounce ideas off on Matt about big buck spots etc. Then head to the strip scout some. Come back shoot a giant and say "YUP you don't need no stinking outfitter." I'm just a guide and not the actual outfitter but close enough. LOL

So basically one just needs to get an outfitter to make a couple scouting trips with them for free. Have that Outfitter share knowledge and info that greatly narrows down the amount of country to cover. Be themselves a guide. And it is like every other hunter doing it DIY???

Don't get me wrong. DIY on the strip is definatley doable. And lots of people have successfully done exactly that. However the time needed to IMO scout it effectively and still be successful on one of the true strip giants is a huge undertaking that a vast majority of hunters will not be able to do. Some do but most probably don't. Even hiring an outfitter with all that knowledge and scouting is not a guarantee for success. You still have to have the hunting gods on your side 😜 .

Anyway I didn't mean to type out such a giant response but again that last statement has me scratching my head. Your example of the "DIY" doesn't seem so DIY to me. We all know you don't need an outfitter to be successful.

• Like 10

I think what Don is trying to say is that you don't need to spend BIG $$$ on an outfitter to kill a big deer on the strip. I believe his fees are quite a bit less than some of the other guys up there.

• Like 1

Anyone else thinking "with such a trophy on the ground- the camera guy couldn't get his finger out of the way?"

I have several pictures where my dad was convinced the camera was messed up until he moved his fat finger haha

• Like 4

Don that is a great buck and one anyone should be proud of, BUT have you seen some of the Giant bucks that have come off the strip this year! The ones that scout the most and put the most amount of time up there are killing true giants, not just great bucks.