Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

What coues caliber to build off a Remington 700 Long Action

A couple years ago, my brother bought an 1970's model Remington 700 chambered in 30-06 from a friend in need for cheap and after several boxes of various ammo, it just doesn't shoot well at all. There aren't any plans for it to leave the safe, and when asked how much he wanted for it last night, he said the brother-price may be as low as $100.

I'm pretty darn green when it comes to building a custom rifle, but I was hoping some guys on here could help me through some thoughts on my options for building off the Remington 700 long action.

I'm certain I don't want to re-barrel in 30-06. I currently have a 7mm Remington Mag with 500-1000 shots left in the barrel and I recently picked up a 223 that shoots lights out to 300 yards. I'm looking to build something in between that is enjoyable to shoot for everyone in the family (7mm is NOT lol), very capable for coues out to 600 and if possible but not nearly as important, target to 1000+, and lastly I want reasonable-good barrel life.

I'm leaning towards

25-06, 6.5 CM, or 6.5-284

Open to suggestions on other calibers and preferred stocks, barrels, triggers, etc. I'm not sure of my budget yet, this thread is a poke to see what I'm really looking at to make this commitment. I'm in no hurry.

Thank you for sharing any thoughts and what you would do's. I really appreciate it.

Rechamber it for 6.5 and buy yourself a new barrel and you could be shooting a 6.5 -06. Lots of people do it. If you want more umpump out of it make it a 6.5-06 AI

• Like 1

Pick a 6.5! Got a factory built creedmoor and recoil is minimal accuracy is fantastic, trigger I would use would be a timney set around 1.5 lbs pick a nice stock with adjustable cheek rest, bartlien barrel and muzzle brake quick disconnect mount for suppressor,

If you want to sell that action I have thought of building one as well

• Like 1

Being a long action and wanting less recoil, I would suggest the 25-06. The 280AI would be right on the heels of your 7RM. The 6.5 CM would be better served in a short action.

If you wanted to go 6.5CM, I would trade or sell the 30-06 to get a short action to build on. This might be the preferred route to get a rifle the whole family would enjoy.

If you don't mind plastic, just getting an accurate Tikka T3x could be a no build plan. To better fit the wife and kids, maybe the T3x Compact with the shorter 12.5" LOP

I have the Tikka t3x ctr and mine has been better than expected for a factory built rifle. Factory ammo 10 shot group 1/2 moa. I beilive my reloads are slightly better hard to tell it shoots so well.

6.5-06.

Bolt face is already setup for the right size case and action length.

• Like 2

6.5-06.

Bolt face is already setup for the right size case and action length.

Only if he hand loads. The .25-06 would be a logical choice. It was by far the favorite cartridge of all my cowboys who used it for both coyotes and deer--both muleys and Coues.

So many options for a 700 LA! Serious considerations should be the 6.5x284, 280 Rem, 280 Ackley Imp.

There are many options for stocks from traditional to tactical. You could build quite the shooter with that action.

There are also many options for barrels, it just depends on what you want to spend.

I would suggest contacting southernxpress here and talk options and price. He has built many rifles for my friends and family and I, and does great work. Very accurate rifles.

Do you reload? That would make a huge difference in my suggestions.

Here is a quick list, some are factory chamberings, some are wildcats.

6mm Rem

6mm Ackley Imp.

6mm-06

6mm-06 Ackley Imp.

6mm-.284 Win

.25-06 Rem

.25-06 Ackley Imp.

.25-284 Win

.257 Roberts

.257 Ackley Imp.

6.5-06

6.5-06 Ackley Imp.

6.5x55

6.5x55 Ackley Imp.

6.5x.284 Win

.280 Rem

.280 Ackley Imp.

Thanks, all!

Yes, I hand load.

I understand I left out a lot of great calibers such as the .280, but with a 7mm that is shooting -MOA and perfectly fine as is, I am reluctant to get into too big of a cartridge. I don't want to burn that much powder.

I also hesitate to get into the wildcats. I under the ballistic benefit, but I still want this to be a gun I can pick up some factory ammo for or find it on someone else's shelf in a pinch or SHTF situation.