Sign in to follow this  
azelkhunter69

Looks likie good weather

When I didn't get drawn for early archery bull again this year I tried to convince myself the silver lining was that the hunt starts early this year. Next year it starts on the 15th which typically is better. BUT, the moisture this year seems to have made for some big bulls and the weather is looking really good. 2 out of the last 3 archery hunts we had, the weather was terrible....in the 80's. This year, if the forecast holds, it looks like 60's and low 70's. No telling what the rut will be like yet, I guess we will see in a few days.

Good luck to all of you lucky guys and gals with tags. I'll be waiting for the pictures to start rolling in.

P.S. Not sure who I am trying to kid. There is no silver lining to not drawing. I wish I drew every year.

• Like 4

Yup, I'm jealous too!

Looks like it may be a bit on the wet side for the opener depending on what Newton decides to do.

post-8895-0-74969500-1473101216_thumb.png

Hope the temps drop for the archery guys and gals. Was up in 23 this weekend--crickets! No bugles to be heard.

Best of luck to all who drew tags.

I am headed up in the morning to set up camp. I was going to wait until Thursday but with this system moving in I am going to get it done while it is somewhat dry. It is an absolute quagmire into my camping spot.

Also going to be just a little picky on how small of an elk I shoot. I think I will play it by ear as to how the rut goes. If it looks like a good one I may not lower my standards for a while. If it goes into the last week and things are slow it may become a meat hunt. :)

• Like 2

I am headed up in the morning to set up camp. I was going to wait until Thursday but with this system moving in I am going to get it done while it is somewhat dry. It is an absolute quagmire into my camping spot.

Also going to be just a little picky on how small of an elk I shoot. I think I will play it by ear as to how the rut goes. If it looks like a good one I may not lower my standards for a while. If it goes into the last week and things are slow it may become a meat hunt. :)

Man, wish I was in your shoes! Opening day....crisp September morning.....archery elk....bugling bulls.....elk camp.....no work! :)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Had 1 bull screaming like mad at some cows in 23N yesterday. The other 2 bulls he was with didn't make a peep. Weird thing was he didn't start until 9:30 am

Was in 22N setting up camp this weekend. Heard quite a few bulls sounding off about an hour before dark and all through the night. The morning was kind of quiet. A few bugles here and there but it got hot early and the woods went silent where we were. Hoping for cooler temps here in a few days. Got 10 days to help my Pop get his first archery bull at 63. Good luck to all you archery hunters.

• Like 1

I was going to scout this weekend, but..... holy cow what a zoo! The last two weekends were great in 4B. I found bulls and cows and heard some bugling. Labor Day Weekend was crazy! Razors and side by sides driving a hundred miles an hour and 50' Class A's crammed in every nook and cranny! The worst part was the battle of the bands concert till 1am! I thought I was at Country Thunder! I drove up Saturday night and left first thing Sunday morning after taking a few practice shots with the bow. The drive home was interesting as well. I'm sure that I didn't have the traffic that folks had on Monday, but the nuts were over the top! Weaving in and out of lanes and there was an eighteen wheeler that drove off the road at the top of one of the 87 switchbacks! Hopefully the elk will settle down and go to their normal pattern on opening day.

Good luck, boys and girls and be safe!

• Like 1

I was going to scout this weekend, but..... holy cow what a zoo! The last two weekends were great in 4B. I found bulls and cows and heard some bugling. Labor Day Weekend was crazy! Razors and side by sides driving a hundred miles an hour and 50' Class A's crammed in every nook and cranny! The worst part was the battle of the bands concert till 1am! I thought I was at Country Thunder! I drove up Saturday night and left first thing Sunday morning after taking a few practice shots with the bow. The drive home was interesting as well. I'm sure that I didn't have the traffic that folks had on Monday, but the nuts were over the top! Weaving in and out of lanes and there was an eighteen wheeler that drove off the road at the top of one of the 87 switchbacks! Hopefully the elk will settle down and go to their normal pattern on opening day.

It's the same thing every year. The past 10-15 are much worse in my opinion now that more people have purchased trailers and UTV's. I think everything from the influx of weekender's during archery season to cooler weather just puts all the animals on high alert. The only "change" I can see is it makes the age class bucks and bulls stay away from the roads more.

• Like 1

That is how it was in 23. Lot of side by sides and what not barreling down roads. Glad i didn't encounter anyone rolled over. Saw some crazy driving going on .

On a good note seen the mighty flag of the good old USA flying proudly out there. Good to see!

The top end of unit was pretty much packed with camps and what not.

Hope everyone was a good steward and packed everything back out.

• Like 1

Wasn't it crazy??! I hate going up Labor Day weekend but it's tough when it's the weekend before the hunt starts. I'm with you and hoping they get a few days to calm down.

So much for the forecast holding. 80 degrees in Williams and warmer tomorrow. That and only being Sept. 9th probably explains some of the complaints about not hearing bugles this morning. Should be good about mid week though if the weather man is right. Supposed to be in the 60's.