Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

300 WM 208 ELD-M load

Also...my favorite long range load will only shoot around an inch at 100 but consistently shoots 1-5/8 at 300. You don't have to shoot clover leafs at 100 to have a reliable LR rifle.

• Like 2

One of the question is why did the 2 hotter loads go down in Velocity ?

One of the question is why did the 2 hotter loads go down in Velocity ?

I have found huge discrepancy in velocity readings when using chronographs. I think it may be due to the lighting conditions changing throughout the day. As pwrguy suggests, I would test group size at 300 yards with a rifle of that caliber. Forget about velocity for now. Find your best load at 300 and then shoot at a long vertical target at 500 ( without turning a turret ) with your aim point at the top of the target. Record the amount of drop to the center of your 500 yrd group into a ballistic calculator ( all variables must be correct, including atmospheric conditions ) and then you will be able to determine a more accurate MV. Once you have your velocity established at this point you can determine the distance your bullet starts to enter the transonic range (1340 Fps ). My guess it will be about 1300 yards or so. Shoot at a "vital zone" sized target at this range and record the amount of MOA or MILs it takes to hit the target. You will then input this data into you ballistic calculator and it will true your drop chart all the way out to your bullets transonic range and give you a very accurate MV. You can also do this at closer ranges than 1300 yards, just know that your drop chart will only be true up to the distance that you true to. I would not worry about velocity so much, as the 300 wm with a 208 gr bullet will be sufficient to kill an elk out to any practical hunting distance, providing shot placement is where it should be. Accuracy is key.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, you must zero your 300 yard group on the bullseye before starting the process. Oh, and don't shoot off a led sled. The barrel harmonics will behave way differently when you are in the field shooting off a bipod or pack. Get a bubble level too. They really help out at longer ranges.

• Like 2

Thanks for you comments guys

I got down to my to best loads, all shots were taken of bi-pod and sand bag in the back as requested (no sled :) )

1. 78.5 H1000, Coal 3.610 .83" grouping at 100 yards

2. 78.5 H1000, Coal 3.600 .75" grouping at 100 yards

So I took these and wanted to see if I can get to half in grouping and messed around with powder amount.

Best to out of the 6 powder chargers

1. 78.7 H1000 Coal 3.600 1.120 @ 200 yards MOA 0.56"

2. 78.7 H1000 Coal 3.610 1.464 @ 200 yards MOA 0.732

Muzzle Velocity is Average at 3,000 fps

After 150 rounds I finally got my load that I wanted. This gun and bullet was very fininky! I did load a light load a while ago with a 210 VLD and had 1/2 groupings, but I really wanted to see what I can do with this ELD-M can do.

Here in the next couple of weeks Im going to take it out and stretch its legs should be fun. Since I got this one done, now to start on a 6.5 creedmoor load for the new rifle.

• Like 1

Well months later my gun still acted weird!!! As you can see in my last post back in October those are some great groupings and velocity. Still a learning curve for me. Once I thought it was fine and loaded up more loads it wouldn't group any more. Changed it again and again the H1000 just didn't like my 300 win mag. I swear I have the only 300 win mag that doesn't like H1000!! Even the loads it did like the barrel now being fowled my velocity really increased. Sticky bolt and blown primers. Once 2800 fps and 2900 low loads are now 3,050 fps. I just got tired of messing with this. I loaded up with some low loads of H1000 but went ahead and got some IMR 7828ssc before I tried the low loads of H1000

My best load is about 200 fps slower then what I've been shooting before but its the tightest group I have ever shot!!

post-12761-0-49106800-1493418215_thumb.jpg

Last week I shot the same load and got .71 MOA and the slight different loads from 1 grain off were still with in 1" MOA. So fare this is the only round that has been consistent

But what about those low loads of the H1000?? Well after the first 2 shots the rest of them wouldn't allow me to close the bolt. Ahhhh!!! So now I've been home pulling those rounds and resizing and trimming brass!! Ive been good double checking before but I don't know why these brass got away from me

I was aiming for good groupings and great velocity but I guess you really can't beat 0.222 MOA. Hopefully I can pull that off again, and see how she does farther out