Zeke-BE

How old were you when you started hunting big game?

12, my dad hunted very little and only small game. Fortunately, he provided me and my brothers the opportunity. Been a life long passion.

Fall of 1968 my older brother had a late rifle bull tag for unit 1. Dad dropped us off on Mamie Creek northeast of Escudilla mountain. We packed up the mountain about a 1/2 mile. Stayed 2 nights, dad would check on us daily. Saw a few elk, no bulls. Weather was good but very cold @ that altitude. I was 12, my brother was 14. A really good memory. We were real mountain men.

• Like 2

I love this thread. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have many trick or treat stories. Being raised as a powder and primer guy, Halloween was in the woods.

• Like 3

I was 22. My family didn't hunt so I had to learn from friends.

• Like 2

I love this thread. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have many trick or treat stories. Being raised as a powder and primer guy, Halloween was in the woods.

I relate, Seemed from 10 years on Halloween was spent hunting.

Dad would take me afield deer or antelope scouting around 9 or 10, started filling my own deer tag a year or two later. By then had been squirrel and rabbit hunting 5 years.

• Like 3

I am surprised how many late bloomers are now hunters! Surprised but not a bad thing at all.

• Like 3

took hunters ed at 9 and my sister was 11. She met her first boyfriend in class and I got to tag along to the movies with them. Jurassic park haha! At 11 my second tag, dad and my uncle got pissed cause I wanted to go trick or treat. They got me home by 7pm and everyone had already gone out. Looking back I wish I wasn't a little sh!t that day.
  • Like 1

mom, dad and grandfather Markham hunted the first weekend of the season without any luck. but on monday dad and grandfather had to be back at work so they could not hunt. what with me being the only man left in the house mom took me out monday morning. it was 1965 and i was 6. lots of horns but no skull valley buck.

hunted peppersauce in 1974 and took my first buck at saguaro lake in 1975.

lee

my son got his first two in 1996-he was 12 for the muzzleloader bull and 13 for the mulie

• Like 4

Dad took me hunting as soon as I could walk. Got a BB gun at 3, 22 at age 4, 20 gauge at age 6 and a 25-06 at age 8.

Killed my first javelina at age 8, first coues at 10 . Back when you could shoot 2 deer a year , draw a December coues tag every year that was good for a handful of different units and draw a early unit 9 elk tag every year.

• Like 3

I was with my dad at 2 when he shot a deer (first memory I think I have of hunting) I was too busy watching snow flakes while he was trying to teach me how to field dress.

I bet at 2 you where 4 foot tall with a beard

I went on my first deer hunt when I was 10. We jumped a buck and I watched my dad shoot a coues on a full sprint at 50 yards or so. Two years later I shot my first buck. Looking back, after all these years, I realized what a good shot dad made on that hunt. Many things have changed over the years with big glass, and big caliber rifles, but there's a lot to be said about a good ol .243 and a low power scope.

• Like 2

I was with my dad at 2 when he shot a deer (first memory I think I have of hunting) I was too busy watching snow flakes while he was trying to teach me how to field dress.

I bet at 2 you where 4 foot tall with a beard

haha! I don't know if I actually remember or if I remember because I've heard the story.

I try and bring my closest friends into the fold. Buhlberg has a late bull tag in a unit without bulls. I'm guessing he is converted for life after December. Wink,wink...

My oldest memories of any kind are of hunting with mt dad, I started tagging along at 3 or 4, I started wingshooting as soon as I could hold up the gun at around 5 or 6. I took hunter safety when I was in the Cub Scouts at 9 and I was a good shot by then. In CA where I grew up you had to be 12 to hunt big game and it just killed me that I could not hunt deer with the others when I was 10-11. I shot my first buck at 12 and have taken at least one big game animal and lots of birds every year since. I am 54 now.