Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Kit Fox habitat

I would like to get a Kit Fox later in the year and I have seen gray fox quite a bit but does anyone know if they have a specific range or type of habitat they can be found in?

only time i have seen them is in the low, arid desert areas. saw one a few weeks ago east of safford. ran across the road at night

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

I've also only seen them at night. Typically 2000-4000 feet in the desert. Seen them in lush desert and not so lush desert. Leave some food in your tent and they'll inevitably come rusting around at some god awful hour...

After an evening of predator calling I had two follow me 5 miles back to my vehicle. Of course having a squeaky toy in my pocket helped too. Had no inclination to shoot them.

There was a time when I wanted to call one in after bumping into a couple of them. That changed after I really discovered their whereabouts and habits while targeting/trapping other species.

They live in the creosote flats and when you stumble across a dense population of them, they will plug your traps and call stands for days. I let so many of them go only to have another in the trap in the AM.

I have trapped 6 in one trap consecutively over 6 nights. They are cool critters but a pest when targeting spotted bellies on the flats.

This pic is indicative of the habitat I find them in the most.

post-11266-0-02066400-1474146597_thumb.jpeg

This was one of the biggest and most colorful ones I've ever caught.

post-11266-0-06321600-1474147156_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

You'll find them in the desert flats. Maricopa, Marana, Stanfield, Casa Grande, Florence..... they are all over. I've trapped lot of them in case traps and even a few footholds. Had a few get chomped on my coyotes in my footholds out near Gila Bend. Called in several in my life but always on the first stand of the morning. They live in holes in the ground on the flats and will come into standard grey fox distress or cottontail distress. Pelts are quite nice and soft but the market is next to nothing. Most I ever got was $12. Had a few graduate students out of ASU who paid me $20 for a whole carcass if there were no bones broken. I delivered them five or six. Acetone injection.

20140209_083016_zps76545e93.jpg

20140209_083701_zps247cb6d8.jpg

20140209_170327_zps8d6070ef.jpg

20140209_170319_zpsab54e806.jpg

• Like 1

Bunch of them behind lake pleasant Castle hot Springs area. Also had them all over camp on my sheep hunt in 44b n.

Yup had a buddy get one with a bow out there while we were hunting Javi

The wife and I called in a double last year and it was about 2pm in the afternoon.

IMG_20160205_142728725_zpsfx70ywt7.jpg

I really want to call one in. it seems like they are annoying to those who are around them alot. If anyone wants to send me to a spot where i can just go get one, that would be awesome. Id like to have the skin tanned to hang up

Those are nice sized kit fox. If you were able to call them in at 2PM I bet you were right on top of their den when you began calling. Hope you skinned them out.