trphyhntr

How is the elk hunting?

I had an outstanding hunt in Unit 1!! Bulls bugling most days, sometimes for several hours and sometimes for just a bit, but it was plenty for me. Chased bugles, set-up ambushes, cut them off, begged, prayed, etc... In the end, I didn't end-up killing (or wounding) anything. Passed on a couple of small ones and choked on a big one or two! :P Spent 11 amazing days in the woods and had a great time!

Two big lessons learned for me: 1) Need to learn to bugle better so I don't just scare them off! 2) Extra patience while waiting in a likely ambush spot. Just because they are not making noise does NOT mean that they are not coming. Twice I got antsy and moved, only to then see nice bulls parade by the spot I had been sitting just a 1/2 hour before! ;)

Anyway, overall it was an amazing time in the woods!

S.

:)

PS: Big thanks to those who provided help and advice on the unit. Extra BIG thanks to Pine Donkey!!!!!!! You made my hunt, Robert!! :D

I will be helping on a hunt in Unit 1 Friday, cant wait!

The elk control the wind, I am convinced of it.

We were on 5 bulls this morning(not all at the same time) and each time we went after one the wind switched to our backs. EVERY STINKING TIME. Even when we headed in the exact opposite direction.

Long morning..

• Like 1

The elk control the wind, I am convinced of it.

We were on 5 bulls this morning(not all at the same time) and each time we went after one the wind switched to our backs. EVERY STINKING TIME. Even when we headed in the exact opposite direction.

Long morning..

I have never seen the wind change direction as much as it did this year while elk hunting.

Well I'm off to the elk hunting woods Thursday with muzzy in hand. Last weekend didn't hear a peep and I'm hoping the moon had a lot to do with it. The 2 weekends before that, Bulls were sounding off pretty good.

Well I'm off to the elk hunting woods Thursday with muzzy in hand. Last weekend didn't hear a peep and I'm hoping the moon had a lot to do with it. The 2 weekends before that, Bulls were sounding off pretty good.

Should be unreal with the forecast

Quiet in 5B south, had some opportunity but couldn't seal the deal. 11 days of awesome hunting, can't buy that in the store.

• Like 2

I don't know about all that talk about better then being at home. It's sooooo hard to draw a tag anymore in the early hunts, that if they ain't screaming their heads off, I feel cheated.

I don't know about all that talk about better then being at home. It's sooooo hard to draw a tag anymore in the early hunts, that if they ain't screaming their heads off, I feel cheated.

Says the guy without a tag lol. 'm sitting at a waterhole not hearing anything since it's windy as shoot right now but I'd rather be here than anywhere.

• Like 1

Says the guy without a tag lol. 'm sitting at a waterhole not hearing anything since it's windy as shoot right now but I'd rather be here than anywhere.
C'mon! You have one more day! Get it done! :)

I was tough in 5bs for us as well.. I didn't find them in the usual spots.. The ones I did find were call shy and didn't bugle hardly at all.. Our camp did manage 2 bulls and a cow.. All taken off water..

Any day!
  • Like 1

370 or nothing

370 or nothing

Ouch! Good luck! :)