Hike4coues

Lucky Me 36C

I'd hunt the southern part of that unit myself. This coming from the ups driver that delivers those ranches. Elkhorn had an outfitter in there last year and they took around 12+ bucks out but there's still a few around.

Thanks for the heads up!!!! I had no idea they had an outfitter in there!

The Outfitter isn't associated with the Elkhorn...

He just camps right there and hunts the surrounding country....

I've hunted 36c for quite some time both rifle and archery and have almost always been able to find decent bucks down around the base of the steep mountains. If i were truly going to search for a 90+" buck i would definitely get up high. The mountains are steep and that keeps the average hunter from tackling them. I would seriously consider the Mildred Peak/Jupiter mine area. The area is foot access only and is definitely some tough hiking. As far as the illegals and drug runners are concerned, during the cooler months their activity increases. The drug runners prefer the higher elevations as there are a lot of rock grouping and cover for them to hide in as well as a lot less Border Patrol presence. I definitely wouldn't do it alone.

• Like 1

So you took my tag lol

Lol I wonder how many did apply for this tag? I now sit at 0 bonus points, having burnt up 5 to get this. Looking at your avatar, Couesfreak, you've gotten a beautiful buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am struggling to break the 70" mark, and hope I can!

So you took my tag lol

Lol I wonder how many did apply for this tag? I now sit at 0 bonus points, having burnt up 5 to get this.

My cousin got drawn for a Dec.36C tag this year. I believe he got drawn with no points.

My buddy and I got drawn for Dec. 36c on the same app. I never hunted the unit bit have helped on a previous Dec tag my buddy had couple years ago. We only seen couple trucks on the hunt never did see any other hunters. We heard shots and we saw plenty of bucks but unfortunately bad weather couple days limiting glassing and never found the big boys. I think we were hunting around king anvil. But just like the rest of the 36 units deer are plentiful. Glass glass and glass

Thank you 200! I did have several days to scout, but even with that I didn't get to see half of the locations I wanted to. I like to have several options.

Out of curiosity, has anyone whacked a big one in this unit this year?

The 2 biggest coues bucks I ever seen were in that unit. That should get You excited. If You can;t find any closer to the hunt PM. Me. I tell ya some spots................Good Luck............BOB!

hi Bob,

Have tried to PM you, but your box must be full

Hike4Coues, I've hunted in 36c my entire adult life. Elkhorn Ranch is a great area (killed 5 bucks in that area), but nothing bigger than a 90" buck. My dad took a 105" out of there a couple years ago. I actually just got back from down there last night for a friends hunt. PM me if you want my two-cents.