chadt45

4A Success

We arrived on camp Wednesday last week, the late start was due to hectic work schedules. After setting up camp my hunting partner and I decided to set the evening on a wallow. We left camp early for the 2 mile hike to the wallow. The conditions were not that great with very high winds but we were excited to be out there hunting. At about 4:30 after not seeing or hearing anything we heard a bugle and it was very close.

I looked to the left and could see this bull and he was within 70 yards of me. It is amazing how quiet these giant animals can be. I continued to watch him close the distance until he was at 25 yards. I raised my bow and drew as his eyes were blocked by a tree and he continued to get closer. He finally turned broadside at 19 yards and I let the arrow fly.

When the arrow hit I could tell it was pretty far back, it was a clean pass through and I could already see blood running down his opposite side. After a few quick calls the bull stopped at 75 yards to look back at us. I was pretty frustrated with myself because I rushed the shot and hit him far back. The bull slowly walked off as we watched.

We remained still for an hour then slowly I retrieved my arrow. it was covered with blood so I knew it was a fatal hit. we began tracking and after about 100 yards the blood was getting very thin. I was walking small circles trying to find some sign when I scanned the hill in front of me and I spotted him on top of the hill. He had only made it about 200 yards!

After quartering him out we started the 2 mile pack back to camp. The week was completed on Monday when my hunting partner scored on a nice 5x6 after we had sat on a water hole all day long.

Thanks for reading!

post-12140-0-45812300-1474461199_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Awesome bull. Congrats!

Congrats on a great bull!

What a beautiful creature! I'm always surprised on how the wildlife is able to survive and wander this environment without even making the tiniest of noises.

that's a great 4A BUll. love the tine length on his G1's, G2's and G3's

Congrats on a great looking bull. Thanks for the story and the pics.