Rumhunter84

Scope choices ?

Hi guys this is my second post on the website here I'm currently in a rifle build with Phoenix custom rifles should be getting my 300 rum back here another two months or so now I'm on the decisions of what scope to get

I was thinking a leupold VX-6 4.5-24x52 CDS Target 34 mm Tube ?

I'm kind of lost with this since I'm building the rifle of my dreams any feedback is great thank you

Leupold is a great choice. I am not a huge fan of the 34mm tube though as it really limits you on ring choices and the scopes are just so big. That's just like, my opinion though man.

• Like 1

What shooting distance are you going to be focusing on?

I am looking to upgrade scopes as well. I would love to afford a nightforce or swaro but I dont know anyone who really complains about the leupold

To be completely honest I think 800 yards would be my max !! I know the rifles gonna be able to do much more than that !

I was torn between two options wanting to have exposed turrets to dial shots and wanting the clear glass and not a complicated reticle to get in the way. I contacted eurooptic and talked to Jason and decided on a swaro x5i. I am very pleased at this decision and would love to have a second one but at this point it is alot of money. I also was looking at a ffp scope but never looked through one it is the Kahles 624I as suggested by Lance I would like to use one and try it but went with swaro because there is no question on the optic quality I would be getting and at full power which is were I will shoot after 300 yards it will dial the same as a ffp.

Mil or Moa was another option with other scopes and I went with moa as that is all they offer on x5i.

As I go and shoot my Vortex Pst ffp scope at the same time both work well but there is no comparison between optic quality.

as for rings i would like to try but do not own the burris xtr with the shims so you can -20 and +20 and you could get 40 moa out of that with flat rail

I have the vx-6 in 3-18x44 on my 270 Wsm. For the money they are a decent scope. The glass could be a little better, but it's as good or better than anything I've seen in the same price range. Never had any issues with tracking.

Now I'm kind of a Leupold fan, but if this is the build of your dreams why not put the scope of your dreams on it. I got my 300 Rum from PCR in March and I went with the Nightforce 5-25x56 F1 ATACR. It's an ok scope but its not everything I had hoped for. If I had it to do again the S&B, Kahles K624, or the Swaroviski X5 is where I would be looking.

The questions we really need answers on to give good suggestions are as follows:

Price Range? Probably the #1 requirement.

Reticle preference? Do you like a duplex, or something you can use more easily to hold for elevation and wind holds?

Usage? Hunting? Targets? Both?

Preference on adjustments? Holdover? Dial? Dial elevation, hold windage?

SFP or FFP? All preference based.

Preferences on features?

Glass quality

Tracking

Turrets

Locking turrets

Second rotation indicator

Illuminated reticle

Weight

Eye box

A few observations....from experience. If you say you will shoot to 800 max, be honest with yourself. You didn't build a custom .300RUM to shoot 800 yards max. That cartridge is fully capable of doubling+ that yardage for steel shooting. With practice, you will be too.

While the Leupold VX-6 is a good scope. I used to think Leupold were top tier scopes. While they are a good scope, there are others that have surpassed them. But millions of shooters love them.

• Like 3

To add onto what Lance listed--

Preference for Mil vs MOA for your reticle and for your turrets. Figure out what makes the most sense for you-- even as an artilleryman my head works best in MOA for shooting and hunting because I relate inches in target size.

Great article to get your thoughts flowing, be sure to check out all 4 parts!

http://www.primalrights.com/articles/rifle-sighting-systems/rifle-sighting-systems-part-1-moa-iphy

The questions we really need answers on to give good suggestions are as follows:

Price Range? Probably the #1 requirement.

Reticle preference? Do you like a duplex, or something you can use more easily to hold for elevation and wind holds?

Usage? Hunting? Targets? Both?

Preference on adjustments? Holdover? Dial? Dial elevation, hold windage?

SFP or FFP? All preference based.

Preferences on features?

Glass quality

Tracking

Turrets

Locking turrets

Second rotation indicator

Illuminated reticle

Weight

Eye box

A few observations....from experience. If you say you will shoot to 800 max, be honest with yourself. You didn't build a custom .300RUM to shoot 800 yards max. That cartridge is fully capable of doubling+ that yardage for steel shooting. With practice, you will be too.

While the Leupold VX-6 is a good scope. I used to think Leupold were top tier scopes. While they are a good scope, there are others that have surpassed them. But millions of shooters love them.

Price $2500 max

I like a clean retical but that's not really available in the high end scopes !

It would be mainly hunting and targets ! you have to practice lol .

I want dials and I like the CDS system that leupold offers !

Second focal plane

Preferences on features?

Glass quality - I want to be able to see stuff

Tracking- ?

Turrets - yes

Locking turrets ? You mean zero stop ? Yes

Second rotation indicator- N/A

Illuminated reticle- no

Weight - don't matter

I am being honest with myself I would probably shoot at targets further but never animals Personal opinion don't want to start any drama . I have had that gun since I was 16 and I finally get to do it for build with the rifle I love that caliber I had a leupold LPS

3.5-14x50 on it before I dropped it off the Keith and I'm ready to upgrade

Thanks a lot lance !!!!!!!