Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Hand held primer issues

I was just reloading 100 new Hornady 6.5 creedmoor brass with 210 match primers. My handl held RCBS primer seemed to be having a real hard time seating the primers. It was extremely hard to set it all the way in. Is it common for the brass to be the problem, the primer, or the hand held primer devise?? I haven't had this much problem with priming my 300 win mag a month ago.

I primed my first ever brass the other day with 215m primers and I squeezed hard and squinted while looking the other way. Reloading has me freaked out. Not that this is going to help you at all haha!!

• Like 1

I primed my first ever brass the other day with 215m primers and I squeezed hard and squinted while looking the other way. Reloading has me freaked out. Not that this is going to help you at all haha!!

Ha ha I was doing just that

Did you uniform the primer pockets?

I never had this much problem before. Can you educate me on this uniform procedures ?

Do yourself a favor and buy a K&M primer pocket uniformer, flash hole uniformer, and the single stage primer seater. You can adjust the seater to provide the depth you want on the primer. It is even faster than my RCBS. While your at it, also get the VLD chamfer tool since you are loading VLD or ELD bullets. David

http://kmshooting.com

• Like 1

I use the 210 and cci 250 in my .308 with lapua brass and have also noticed the 210 harder to seat than the cci. Not sure why, but sometimes i'll have to run the 210 through my Lee hand primer 2 or 3 times to get them to fully seat.

I never had this much problem before. Can you educate me on this uniform procedures ?
I use the Lyman case prep in the photo below. Only uniform primer pockets 1 time.

post-13685-0-49428700-1474724913_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I use the Lyman case prep in the photo below. Only uniform primer pockets 1 time.

I have RCBS case prepper but it doesn't have a primer pocket device. Can I order one that will attach to it?

I've been running into the same thing with norma brass with my 28 nosler too.

How do you like that Lyman case prep? Been thinking about getting one for a long time.

I use the 210 and cci 250 in my .308 with lapua brass and have also noticed the 210 harder to seat than the cci. Not sure why, but sometimes i'll have to run the 210 through my Lee hand primer 2 or 3 times to get them to fully seat.

Different brands have slightly different outside diameters. I posted a chart here a few years back. I'll see if I can find it again. This can be used to advantage if the pockets loosen up...

I've been running into the same thing with norma brass with my 28 nosler too.

How do you like that Lyman case prep? Been thinking about getting one for a long time.

I like it, although I don't have much to compare to. I just started reloading about 4 months ago and have used it since I started. It does the job it was intended to do and seems to speed up the process a bit.

I have RCBS case prepper but it doesn't have a primer pocket device. Can I order one that will attach to it?
I am pretty sure you can. If you have the case prep shown in the picture than I am sure you can order the primer pocket uniformer also shown below. Sportsman's Warehouse probably has them in stock and the thread pattern should be the same for the Lyman or RCBS.

post-13685-0-48409900-1474770051_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-79611900-1474770067_thumb.jpg

• Like 1