Sign in to follow this  
wildernesshunter

First Bull and First Archery Big Game

This was my first hunt during the rut. I had a blast bulls weren't bugling like crazy but definitely heard some the first 3 mornings. Then they were silent for the next 3. I had several opportunities the first 4 days on very small bulls but chose to hold out since I had a couple close calls on a 350-360 bull. He disappeared though . I arrowed this bull at 36yds the arrow dead centered a rib but the arrow and rage broadheads still did a good job I hit a few inches higher than what would of been perfect so most of the bleeding was internal and the blood trail ran dry. Came back the next morning and found him 75 yds from where we stopped looking the night before. My hunt was almost ruined this night by another hunter driving during prime time I finally heard a bugle for the first time in 3 days while sitting water. Not two minutes later someone drives past my vehicle and parks 75 yds from the water and started to walk in. Eventually he sees me and walks back to his vehicle I thought he was leaving but he chose to hunt just on the other side of me leaving his vehicle there. The elk started to come to water but got spooked by the other hunters vehicle parked within sight of the water. They began to run straight through not stopping to drink. I started to blow some soft cow calls under my arm and got them to stop. I blew a couple more and the lead cow circled back in, the bull followed her in I took a quick range drew my bow and let one go. Then sat there for the next 5 minutes wondering if it all actually happened haha.

Don't mean to complain about another hunter but that was very disappointing to see especially after sitting on water for almost 4 hours waiting for that prime time of day. Either it all worked out. This hunt was an absolute blast and wouldn't trade the experience.I thank God for the opportunity and ability to be able to hunt these animals. Look out for each other out there. A huge thanks to my friend Bubba in the last picture for the tips and helping retrieve this bull as well, finally got the picture to cooperate.

post-11675-0-60867200-1474690407_thumb.jpg

post-11675-0-69663200-1474690756_thumb.jpg

post-11675-0-79478300-1474690801_thumb.jpg

post-11675-0-23622300-1474690858_thumb.jpg

post-11675-0-09384600-1474690907_thumb.jpg

post-11675-0-61674300-1474835672_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Wow to bad that other hunters cant respect there fellow hunters I'm glad you were successful congrats

• Like 2

What an experience, I bet that was a blast! Were you calm or were your hands shaking a bit ? I love seeing these stories and the pictures.. thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I never get much nerves during the shot, this time a little because of how close and quick it all happened, but I get the adrenaline dump after I think I stared at my phone trying to remember how to make a phone call for a good two minutes afterwards haha. Thank you all for the congratulations