AzDiamondHeat

Can ya feel it?

Agree with you Hyper, except the 17/coyote ;) 17 is where it's at for me. In the front 1/3 of a dog and i rarely even get a spinner. Just stone cold, frozen in time for half a second before they tip over, dead before they hit the ground dogs. When I think of all the runners I've had through the years, regardless of cartridge, they were primarily due to where the crosshairs were when I pulled the trigger rather then which cal I was using. I refuse to use bigger than .22 for fur, but there are lots of ways to skin this cat.

I am the farthest from shy about guts and gore but I honestly enjoy walking up to a prime fur that was just shot and it looks like it died of a heart attack without a drop of blood spilled. That's my usual 17 experience.

Here is the opposite end of the spectrum. In eastern Europe teaching local friends how to call predators and the rifle they hand me is a 30-06 with FMJ's. I was as skeptical as they were of my hand calls. Everybody learned something that day. Definitely needed to stay off the shoulder on this one!

post-11266-0-42179900-1475051463_thumb.jpg

Ended up shooting a coyote on the elk hunt a few days ago. 7mm STW is not fur friendly. I will be getting him tanned since he has nice color and decent fur.

post-12261-0-85799700-1475170068_thumb.jpg

Where are the fur prices I know bobcat you could always get some money for .

last I checked fox and coyote we're down in the dumps ?

Where are the fur prices I know bobcat you could always get some money for .

last I checked fox and coyote we're down in the dumps ?

Fox prices are basically in the dumpster. Good high country coyotes did pretty well last year but I believe they really fell since. A really good bobcat will still bring good money. Average and unprime cats are hard to get rid of. If you are going to sell fur, make sure it's all prime and also look for different markets to sell to.

Brian

Recreational predator hunting or a hunter who wants to keep a few coyote or fox pelts a year, what difference does caliber it make? So you get a spinner or one that runs off? Big whoop. No real loss.

Successfully consistent tournament coyote callers are going to use a caliber/bullet that has the highest success rate if there is money on the line. Or a hunter whose fur is a real portion of their yearly income. In those cases, a coyote running off after getting shot equates to a real problem.

Few tournament coyote winners are shooting anything smaller than a .223 or 22-250. A good number of serious tournament guys consider the .223 to not deliver enough Kinetic bullet energy to be a consistent coyote dropper.

With coyotes tournaments, the problem comes with choosing either a caliber that delivers good kinetic energy or one that shoots flat out a considerable distance. Some guys go one direction or the other. Other hunters try to balance both out and get something in the middle. The terrain you call in plays into it of course. I typically don't hunt locations where I can see 400 yards so I have in my later years leaned toward the bullet that packs a substantial kinetic punch.

6.8 Remington SPC / 110g Hornady bullets. I drop coyotes with less than perfect shots. The energy delivered to a 30 pound coyote is incredible.

20161002_085428_zpsg3342gj1.jpeg

Recreational predator hunting or a hunter who wants to keep a few coyote or fox pelts a year, what difference does caliber it make? So you get a spinner or one that runs off? Big whoop. No real loss.

Successfully consistent tournament coyote callers are going to use a caliber/bullet that has the highest success rate if there is money on the line. Or a hunter whose fur is a real portion of their yearly income. In those cases, a coyote running off after getting shot equates to a real problem.

Few tournament coyote winners are shooting anything smaller than a .223 or 22-250. A good number of serious tournament guys consider the .223 to not deliver enough Kinetic bullet energy to be a consistent coyote dropper.

With coyotes tournaments, the problem comes with choosing either a caliber that delivers good kinetic energy or one that shoots flat out a considerable distance. Some guys go one direction or the other. Other hunters try to balance both out and get something in the middle. The terrain you call in plays into it of course. I typically don't hunt locations where I can see 400 yards so I have in my later years leaned toward the bullet that packs a substantial kinetic punch.

6.8 Remington SPC / 110g Hornady bullets. I drop coyotes with less than perfect shots. The energy delivered to a 30 pound coyote is incredible.

20161002_085428_zpsg3342gj1.jpeg

What manufacture is the AR ?

It's not a singe manufacturer. Carey Custom Rifles made the 6.8 SPC upper. I think the barrel is a Stag Arms LLC. Lower receiver is a polymer Calvary Arms with a Rock River 2 stage trigger. It saves about a pound off a standard mil-spec lower. Calvary Arms was a local manufacturer from Gilbert AZ. ATF raided them a ways back and they've since stop manufacturing the lowers. Another company bought the molds and is making them. Not sure who. Google Composite polymer lower AR-15 and they'll come up I'm sure.

It's not a singe manufacturer. Carey Custom Rifles made the 6.8 SPC upper. I think the barrel is a Stag Arms LLC. Lower receiver is a polymer Calvary Arms with a Rock River 2 stage trigger. It saves about a pound off a standard mil-spec lower. Calvary Arms was a local manufacturer from Gilbert AZ. ATF raided them a ways back and they've since stop manufacturing the lowers. Another company bought the molds and is making them. Not sure who. Google Composite polymer lower AR-15 and they'll come up I'm sure.

What ever happen to Dan carey ?

I used to see him at a lot of the events and now his website is down also !!!!

I Read some pretty messed up stuff about him but didn't know if it was true or not !