Sign in to follow this  
Bubbacoues

Way right?

So I just got back from our make shift range. After checking zero and shooting through the chrony, inputting my data and shooting a few round at 700 & 800, elevation was good(minor adjustments) but my rounds were way way right, holding dead center I was roughly 24" to the right at 800 and 18" at 675-700. I know where I have to hold to make the hits with my reticle but is this normal? Some what new to long range don't plan on shooting at game that far just trying to figure things out.

You have to have a level on your scope at that range.

Wind

Canted rifle

Canted reticle

Torque with shooting hand/trigger finger

Shooting position

Rest

Spin drift

Zero POI

Don't have a scope level on it. This is the second scope on this rifle and I was also shooting to the right the same way with the old one. I'm shooting off of a bi pod and a rear bag, so maybe I'm not lined up right on the target and shifting around putting unnecessary torque on the stock? I'll double check the mounting on the scope and look into a cant level as well. Thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated!

Effects of canting the rifle:

canting the rifle and canting the scope are different. if you cant the scope your shots will move like this video shows. I have a tendency to hold rifle canted but have my scope set level and my shots are on target. I use a level that attaches to my scope to level the scope. one that attaches to the scope mount or picatinny rail causes me to hold the rifle in a uncomfortable position.

I believe that canting the rifle with a level scope will cause a variation in extreme distances.

Check out David Tubbs on long range rifle shooting he had a chin mount that was odd.

Chin Guns and canted scope setups were popular in High Power Silhouette in the early 90's. But shots were only to 500 Meters and Tubbs was a phenominal shot who would typically center punch every chicken.

If you set up your rifle and scope to be zeroed at 500 yards and held at a 45° angle with a level reticle, you will hit every time. But change anything up, and you will be off. Just like level/level rifle/reticle setups.