Sign in to follow this  
Jimbroski

5A rifle coues advice?

My wife & daughter drew unit 5's any antlered this year (Oct 21-30). My hopes were to try & find a decent whitie buck. I know of some muley spots in 5b, but I'm assuming that 5A will be my best chance for finding a decent WT buck. Any advice would be awesomely appreciated!

maybe close to the rim but if I had the tag I definitely wouldn't pass any legal buck looking for a coues deer

The numbers are pretty low. The cedars are your best bet but like it says on the AZGF website they are throughout the unit. The biggest whitetail I have ever seen was literally on the edge of the rim off the 300rd 15 years ago. if your hunt is 5ab then you would be better off hunting the transition canyons in 5bn- if whitetail are really your goal. I would drop the first buck I see though. Thats just me.

If size is not a issue you should have a great hunt. It's been a great dawn drop the past couple seasons.

There are some very nice bucks in 5a. Just gotta know where to look. Start in the areas that have already been mentioned. Canyons canyons canyons...

Moqui Draw/Canyon just south & east of the Blue Ridge community. There are several roads from the 87 that go in there. If you cruise the neighborhood there are a lot of whitetail around the cabins. If you can get a good vantage point in the canyon I'm sure you can turn up some coues.

• Like 1

Good call on the cabins! Had a relative kill a bomber 5x6 coues on the east side of SR 87 (Mack's Crossing)

Yup, that is just south of the Blue Ridge community.

• Like 1

Man! thank you all for the responses. those are a lot of the places I've been busting around. I'll keep at it. I'll keep yal posted if i see anything, or if anything hits the dirt.

thanks again for all the suggestions.