Got drawn for 22 coues hunt this month and I am planning on getting out there a few times before the 21st. I've never hunted the unit but know that every time we've headed north in Oct or December I see a ton of guys glassing from the Beeline. I've been on elk hunts in the unit and have seen 2 big WT bucks in the chaparral up by Star Valley below the control road. Would I be better off avoiding the crowds and head up into the unit farther north/northeast or stay down in the high desert like everyone else? Would the fire on Mt Ord still be affecting any or would they have moved back up the mountain by then? Just looking for a few pointers to direct my limited scouting time. And for good Karma I did see a ton of Mule deer right behind Lake Mary this weekend while chasing non existing Turkeys in 6a. So if you want some muleys there you go.

You're a couple weeks out and you haven't scouted yet?

• Like 3

We r watching a 123 incher in the middle of the unit thats going to take a hard core dirt nap in the first 2 days.

• Like 1

Some people have a life outside of hunting 😏

• Like 3

Take beeline to roosevelt turnoff...as you get to roosevelt hunt/glass the hills on the right...lots of coues

Take beeline to roosevelt turnoff...as you get to roosevelt hunt/glass the hills on the right...lots of coues

Hey now, watch it. Lol

Your looking to hunt one of the hardest animals in the most easily accessed unit in the state with hundreds of other hunters plus all the hippies out there. If you really don't have a game plan you need to read the gf info and make a decision.

The cedars toward fossil creek and ANYTHING close to control road will have tons of hunters all over.

My suggestion would be is get some top quality high powered bino and find an open hill top and glass up a buck once it's been chased off by the roadies and drop it in its bed. The farther north east you travel on foot away from the roads the better chance you'll have. They've already been chased by the archery guys and by the quads every weekend. Find a dark hillside and away from the roads and you'all find something. Good luck, hope you tag out

• Like 1

Easy...

• Like 1

I started a new job (Trauma ICU RN) and had training the last 6 weeks and scouted for Turkey before I went this weekend. Time just ran out. I'm ok with a spike, no need for a trophy this year. I'll take the first decent shot I get. Thanks for the help guys!

• Like 1

Honestly there are whiteys everywhere in the unit in all habitat types. I've seen em from saguaro lake all the way to the rim and everywhere in between. The best place to hunt is where you find a buck you like, but If you can get away from the crowds it's a more enjoyable hunt. With that said, you don't have to go way back in to find great bucks! Some great bucks get killed very close to the beeline, 87, 260, 188. Just ask my dad! Good luck

• Like 2

I realize this is a super old thread but wth. I am a Disabled Marine Corps Vet with a unit 22 Coues tag. Looking for assistance if there is any available. I have great glass and an ATV. I can't decide which side of the 87 to hunt. The east side around Mt. Ord looks great with all the burn regrowth but I know it is going to be a zoo. I was thinking about the wilderness area that can be accessed from the Barnhardt (sp?) trail but when I went there to scout the parking lot was full. Thanks!