mpriest

Ground Elk Recipes

Just got my elk back from this year and I have about 50 pounds of ground elk from last year still that I'm looking to clear out. I'm looking for some good recipes to make with it. If you have a good recipe post it up so I can make it. Here are a couple that I've tried so far:

Italian Sausage:

http://cavewomancafe.com/beef/sausage/

Chorizo:

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5637

Tried a couple chili recipes but wasn't overly impressed with them so I'll keep looking for a good one.

i'm a huge fan of meatloaf. Steven Rinella has a great mozzarella stuffed recipe that i tweak a little bit.

Jerky blaster and ground meat jerky mix. Awesome and will tame the gamiest meat. Shot an old cow elk that was almost inedible any other way. She provided awesome jerky that we snacked on every fishing trip, hike, and hunt for a long time. With another elk going in the freezer, transforming some of that ground meat to snacks gives you another use vs. breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Other ideas/uses - I cook up one tube of store bought chorizo with 1 lb ground elk. Season with additional garlic salt, paprika, onion powder, a dash of nutmeg, mace, coriander, and a few healthy dashes of Cholula. Then use with eggs and potatoes to make awesome breakfast burritos. The fat in the store bough plus the lean elk is just about right. No excess grease to drain or leak out everywhere.

+1 meatloaf. Shepard's Pie, Sloppy Joes, Tacos, Green Chile, Red Chile, Tamales are great with ground meat....

• Like 1

Jerky blaster and ground meat jerky mix. Awesome and will tame the gamiest meat. Shot an old cow elk that was almost inedible any other way. She provided awesome jerky that we snacked on every fishing trip, hike, and hunt for a long time. With another elk going in the freezer, transforming some of that ground meat to snacks gives you another use vs. breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Other ideas/uses - I cook up one tube of store bought chorizo with 1 lb ground elk. Season with additional garlic salt, paprika, onion powder, a dash of nutmeg, mace, coriander, and a few healthy dashes of Cholula. Then use with eggs and potatoes to make awesome breakfast burritos. The fat in the store bough plus the lean elk is just about right. No excess grease to drain or leak out everywhere.

+1 meatloaf. Shepard's Pie, Sloppy Joes, Tacos, Green Chile, Red Chile, Tamales are great with ground meat....

+1 on the ground jerky. Used this method with some ground caribou a buddy gave me. Best jerky I've ever had. I still have a few pounds of ground venison from MN in the freezer and am tempted to turn it into jerky. We made some chili with a pound of ground venison it a few weeks ago, turned out very very good.

i might be a bit of a wapiti snob-i would eat elk three times a day if i could get it legally.

i gave up on ground elk in most recipes long ago. but. still good for regular old tacos and fantastic as stir fry. crazy huh? a skillet of fresh garden vegetables, lots of diced onion, heavy on the spices and light on the soy sauce. rooster sauce once in a while.

for chili-world class elk chili that is-i cook a roast or steaks in cast iron and then dice them into very small carnitas. but the key is the hatch chilis or pablanos. use about twenty peppers for a pot and keep it almost like a soup.

lee

• Like 1

do bulls killed in the rut taste worse than ones killed on the later hunts? because ive always kinda thought elk (other than back strap) doesnt taste very good

Elk Taco Tuesday, elk lasagne all the rest of the days lol

• Like 1

I posted a bunch of sausage recipes on here, I like 2/3's game with 1/3 fatty pork butt

mix a lb of cooked burger with diced green chiles, cream cheese, minced onion & garlic and make enchilada's, I prefer to use green sauce with it

stuffed meatloaf, put down a layer of ground meat, then layer spinach leaves, cheese (I like sharp cheddar) and some ham or bacon, then put another layer of ground meat over the top off it, pinch the edges closed and bake

Disregard all the hippie/paleo/organic crap and this chili recipe is awesome.

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/beef/spicy-elk-chili/

Actually made this one a couple nights ago. Tasted more like a stew than a chili. Maybe I did something wrong haha

I don't know what it's supposed to taste like haha. I make it in the dutch oven and like it, though I'm not a huge fan of traditional chili.

Chorizo should not have cumin.....ever. 95% of authentic Mexican food does not use cumin. At least in kitchens of my family. I know everyone and everything varies. ..just saying.

The recipe is good except for the cumin. We also never put pepper flakes.

What is very important is Santa Cruz chill powder. If you use the paste you can pass on adding water.