Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

Time to open up the debate on Rifle Selection

All opinions and advice are welcome. Ground rules:keep it clean in case the kiddos are watching, lets behave like adults and make this a healthy debate.

The back story-I have been stacking up the bonus points for the early rifle bull tag. The statistics show that the likely hood of me drawing in 2017 is very good. Earlier this year I have began scouting units I'm familiar with and potential new prospect units.

The muscle (or lack of muscle)-a .270 Win model 70 that I'm very comfortable out to 400 yards. Next a .308 Remington model 788 that I'm very comfortable out to 300 yards (mostly due to bullet drop). Some will say shot placement has more to do then caliber choice in terms of measuring success. I know what Jack O'Connor would lobby for.........Should I look to add to my arsenal with some knock down power insurance, yet still have a functioning shoulder when I grow old and gray? Which happens to be around the corner I might add.........There is going to be plenty of factors that are beyond my control already. Rifle choice doesn't have to be one. This is going to be a very special tag.

Ok CW community, time to weight in......

(If this has been talked about in length already my apologies)

What you have is fine. Personally id use the 308. Hunting is a lot more fun when its done at closer ranges. Spend the money you were gonna spend on a new rifle and put it towards a new scope for the 308!

• Like 3

I would use the .270. I have taken 2 bulls using a .270 with factory ammo, both were 1 shot kills. Federal loads some "high energy" loads if you feel you need a little more speed/energy. Both will work fine, just shoot whichever you feel most comfortable shooting.

I prefer the 7s for elk, that being said......the rifles you have will work just fine. It all comes down to how well your rifle is shooting and where you put the bullet. People kill elk with 243 all the time. Just have to know your effective range. My first bull was with my 270, then a cow with a 7 mag, a bull with the 7stw, then a bull with my bow, and another bull with 7stw. You will shoot better with a gun you are comfortable and have confidence in than you will with a gun you hate the recoil on.

Hunting is a lot more fun when its done at closer ranges.

really?

🖕🖕🖕 wasnt talking to you. Now back to your fat hooker.

Shot selection, bullet construction, and shot placement armoire important than the cartridge you select. Having said that elk are big strong Critters that can soak up a lot of that so treated like a Pringles can once you pop you can't stop! Shoot that son of a gun until it's down!

Also, if you wanted a little bit more horsepower I have a 300 WSM that is a tack driver with 168 Barnes Bullets. Would work tremendously for an elk. And has in the past.

• Like 1

Being you are going on an early bull hunt the range will likely be relatively close. Either weapon in

your arsenal will do the job if you do yours. Spend your money on ammo & spend time doing practical shooting

in the field. Good luck in the draw.

• Like 2

Spend time at the range at different distances and get comfortable with whatever you are going to use. Making a good shot is more important than what you are using.

• Like 1

really?

That's not very nice of you to talk about your old lady that way.

• Like 2

You already have what you need. If you want an excuse for a new rifle I'd go for a 300 Win Mag. I'd spend the money on more ammo and trips to the range.

• Like 3

You already have what you need. If you want an excuse for a new rifle I'd go for a 300 Win Mag. I'd spend the money on more ammo and trips to the range.

+1. That's what I would do.

Take the ole trusty .270! Plenty of range and velocity and something you are super comfortable with.

really?

He didn't ask for your perspective on what makes hunting fun either 🖕🏿