Hoss50

A Fun Little Gun Followed Me Home

I had been thinking about one of these little rifles for awhile, and as fate would have it I ran across one at Randalls that someone had special ordered and never come to get. I thought it would be a great little trainer gun and cheaper shooter gun.

It was a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

I actually walked out and left it on the shelf and went home. I was at home for 10 minutes before I went back and picked it up. I bought scope rings and bases while I was there, but I have not mounted a scope.

I took it to the range and I can say I am more than please with my purchase. This little rifle kicks arse. Even with iron sights on a short carbine it was very accurate. I had no problems consistently hitting the 8" gongs at 200 yards with basic Wolf ammo. I think eventually I might put a 2x7x33 or similar scope on it, but with as accurate as it is it might wait awhile.

This is a cool little rifle. One of the coolest features is the set trigger that CZ uses. You push the trigger forward and it sets to a much lighter trigger pull. Super sweet.

Harley

I get on line and read and watch videos of rifles every day. I keep running across this rifle. The only experience I have with the 7.62x39 is in the SKS, Mini 30, and AK47 rifles. I have never been able to shoot better than about 6" groups at 100 yards, so I'm not a real fan of the round. But this rifle seems to talk to me, I probably would have bought it too for a few reasons. I don't have kids but this seems like a good introduction rifle for them because its so cheap to shoot, a 30 Cal, and has open sights. That's the way to learn shooting in my opinion. It would also be a good introduction to accurate reloading because I know the bolt action will be more accurate than the semi autos and along the way the kid can learn brass prep and all of the tricks to reload properly and be able to see the results better than a round like the 223 that is far more accurate. For me I see it as an experiment or another hobby to get a round that has a not so good accuracy reputation and play around with to get to shoot better trying all of the home remedies like bedding, crown and reloading. The specs mention that it may not work with American Ammo. I would be surprised if it didn't work. Please let us know more about how it performs. I'm more interested in is its grouping at 100 yards.

• Like 1

700 out the door roughly I think.

I've got one in 223 with the set trigger and would never sell it. Bought it about 10 years ago I think it was around $400 then..

• Like 1

Here is 10 shots at 100 yards with this little rifle. Open sights off bags with lapua 123gr fmj.

It think the accuracy potential is very good.

The picture is sideways. The far left shot is actually the highest shot and was also the first shot. The other 9 holes are shots 2-10.

Harley

post-592-0-87793600-1476640953_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have a FS CZ-527 in .223 Remington that came with an absolutely beautiful Turkish Walnut tiger stripe stock...My guns are for shooting and I've pretty much made this my go-to rifle for mid-range predator hunting...carrying an old school wide angle 3x9 Redfield and using 55gr factory cartridges this gun easily shoots moa at 200yrds...would love to find a FS CZ-527 in 22 Hornet......

Just a quick update on this. I had a Redfield 3x9 scope sitting around so I decided last minute to take this little rifle javalina hunting. I took it out to the range and quickly sighted it in. I then put 10 rds of Hornady steel case loaded with 123gr SST bullets in about a 2" group. With a little practice and patience this rifle will easily do MOA or less.

I carried it on my hunt and it was a dream. It is so light and handy it was amazing. If you are looking or thinking about 1 of these little CZ rifles you should do it. It is a small rifle but fits great.

It was a nice change from the 12lb 300wm I carried during elk season. Not as much long range punch, but just as deadly within about 300 yards.

I have a FS CZ-527 in .223 Remington that came with an absolutely beautiful Turkish Walnut tiger stripe stock...My guns are for shooting and I've pretty much made this my go-to rifle for mid-range predator hunting...carrying an old school wide angle 3x9 Redfield and using 55gr factory cartridges this gun easily shoots moa at 200yrds...would love to find a FS CZ-527 in 22 Hornet......

Like this one?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/31198/Firearms/Rifles/CZ-USA/CZ+Centerfire/CZ+527+American+.22+Hornet

Yep.

A think a good buddy of mine is going to pick 1 up in 22 hornet. He loves my 7.62x39, and he loves 22 cal.

I am considering 1 in .223 now after this one. My next cz though will a 550 in 6.5x55 with mannlicher stock. These CZ rifles are sweet.

I fear the day I come across a 452 with target sights.

I would have to come home with me.

A LUX would be better.

Very cool. Always like seeing posts about different type of hunting guns other then the usual kind. 7.62x39 is a good round and very underrated in my opinion. In the right guns, even AKs, it can be pretty accurate even with the abundant cheap ammo. Got an Arsenal AK I plan on hunting pigs with open sights next year. Can't wait.