Sign in to follow this  
azpredator@work

bedding a rifle

I'm interested to know why someone says they wouldn't take a BB gun to them??? Bad experience?

I had a rifle bedded by them. They did a great job on it. Mauser action, so a little harder to work with and he took the time to bed both the action and the bottom metal so they are perfectly seated.

They always had good reviews and came highly recommended by quite a few people. Then earlier this year there was a posted by someone who was disgruntled, and it sounded justified. Then a few people piled on.

I personally have had not them do any work on my guns. Since I'm a poor working stiff.

Definitely get it bedded if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Why wonder if you could have gained from it while it was already there on their work bench.

Next year, once I pay off a credit card for some medical bills my wife incurred, will be a short barreled (20-22") lightweight short action deer/elk mountain medium range (600-700 yard) hunting rifle in 7RSAUM or 6.5 4S.
R700 or custom short action
Proof Research or Bartlein #3 fluted barrel 1:9" for 7mm, 1:8" for the 6.5mm twist (still undecided on Proof and if I can get one that short)
McMillan Hunter's Edge or Manners MCS EH-1 stock
Timney 510
Seekins 20MOA rail and rings (both alloys)
March 3-24x52 FFP FML-1

Lance, I built that rifles cousin except it sports a Krieger in a Sendero contour. Hard to beat that 4S !

post-11266-0-89630400-1476386736_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

24" I felt that the compromise for hunting vs velocity. 130 Hybrids doing 3150+ easily without worry of pressure. I got a pile of the newest batch of Hornady brass and some RL26 waiting for me ;)

• Like 1

Update:

I spoke with Keith at PCR about the bedding job I wanted him to do. He informed me that due to the type of stock bedding us not an option for me and would be wasting money to have it done.

Honesty and integrity goes a long ways. Phoenix Custom Rifles will get my repeat business.

• Like 1

If you are going to have it bedded, have it pillared at the same time. Won't cost much more and worth it in the end.

If you do not know what pillaring is, I do it myself. It is a pillar, usually aluminium, that is cut the exact length as your action screws from the distance from the stock to the action. So when you tighten the action you do not smash the action into the bedding and it allows you to more consistently tighten it each time. If done right, you can remove the gun from the stock, re tighten and not have to sight the rifle back in.

• Like 1