AZHog

Good Luck to all the Meat Hunters Starting Friday

Best of luck and success to all the cow elk hunters headed out this week. We'll be up in unit 9 early tomorrow morning doing some last minute scouting. Going to be interesting with the 20+mph winds currently forecasted. Any suggestions for hunting high temps and high winds?

• Like 1

On my cow hunt last year I got my cow opening day in the afternoon when it was very windy. Steady 15mph probably. I didn't expect to see anything but we found them in the mouth of a wind protected canyon eating. Just make sure the wind is in your favor.

Good luck everyone.

Leave a couple cows for my group. We have the late hunt this year again.

• Like 1

These hunts are a blast. My first hunting experiences were plugging cows on sept/oct.

No luck yet but there was an elk across the road from where we camp as we pulled in the day before the season. Nada in our spots from last time. In 23N. My wife's tag. Trying to get her first big game animal.

Harvested my first elk in 10 years (I'm not a very good hunter)! We were about 5 minutes late to where we wanted to hunt opening morning and the guys that beat us there harvested three shortly after shooting light. Later that morning I trailed a cow 5-10 yards inside the National Park hoping she would jump the fence, but no such luck. My son came up to join us for the next day and a half and we saw nothing until late Saturday. We saw a bull and followed him hoping we'd find cows, but no such luck. We did see lots of tracks and followed some that looked fresh. We jumped a cow in the thick brush and she was gone before I could get a shot off. We then jumped a spike. We followed for a while trying to stay down wind, but never found them.

Sunday morning we found a small bull and decided to follow him. Shortly thereafter I saw a cow with him. We heard two separate bulls bugling and figured one was the one we originally saw. We circled around staying down wind and spotted the cow and a bigger bull about 100 yards upon a small ridge. They were in between trees, so we moved closer to about 80 yards. The cow moved into a small opening and I shot. Several cows moved around, but they stayed in the same general area. The first cow then turned and walked back into the opening, but I didn't have a shot with all of the brush and branches. I was able to squat down and get a second shot off between branches and this one hit the mark. She went about 10 yards and expired.

post-12041-0-09678500-1476831022_thumb.jpg

• Like 2