Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

To age or not to age

This is another reason people who marinate a steak for a couple days, tend to have more tender steaks.

I've done gutless before and just aged the piece I cut off (before cutting into steaks or roasts. I've always aged in the fridge wether it's quartered or boneless meat, usually a week. I let back straps sit for atleast 2 weeks. The meat I have set aside for the dogs gets picked thru at the two week mark also. Sometimes there's meat in that pile that the dogs don't get lol.

I have had mixed results:

Bull # 2

Due to time constraints I aged a quartered elk in ice chests last season. Starting out they were on frozen water bottles in the cooler. Then I alternated throwing the quarters in the chest freezer at night, swapping them out with others in the morning and kept alternating to keep it cold. Probably 7-10 days before cutting. It was the best elk meat I have had yet.

Bull # 1

Previous elk, I cleared out the garage fridge and hung meat in there for about a week. Steaks were tough, and I didn't see much of a difference overall.

If I am blessed again with a tag, I intend to try the ice chest method again.

Anyone age Javelina?

I brine Javelina and age it in the refrigerator for about a week, once you get past about 8-9 days it starts to go downhill.

• Like 1

Our group has had a retired meat cutter around for about the last 5 years. If we bring the animal back whole or quartered he cuts it up and we place it on ice in an ice chest. We then continue icing and draining blood for about 7 days. I have never had better tasting elk or deer. My .02 cents.

I brine Javelina and age it in the refrigerator for about a week, once you get past about 8-9 days it starts to go downhill.

I believe it was you who mentioned to me about doing this to javelina a few years back. Love this method.

I bone out large as possible in the field and this - instead alternating frozen water bottles.

We then continue icing and draining blood for about 7 days. I have never had better tasting elk or deer. My .02 cents.

I bone out large as possible in the field and this - instead alternating frozen water bottles.

We then continue icing and draining blood for about 7 days. I have never had better tasting elk or deer. My .02 cents.

I think the blood draining does wonders. I know the age old tale is to keep the meat dry, but I like this method .