Zeke-BE

Reloading dies are off???

I have a RCBS press and 300 win mag dies. These dies are no fun with messing with the coal of the round. When I set it up and tighten it down. (nothing is loose) and I'' still get 0.003" change in the coal. Up or down. I throw one in and it will be perfect and the second one will be 0.003" off. Ill pull the bullet off and retry it and it will still give me the same measurement with the same brass. Is it the brass? Is this really common and it always change? Sometimes but not always it will change 0.005" differences. Should I try different dies?

That's common

Seat each round long and then adjust down. This is where micrometer type dies shine

That's common

Seat each round long and then adjust down. This is where micrometer type dies shine

Do you load like that for every round?

^^^^^^^^

That's common

Can I get the micrometer on my RCBS??? Aftermarket product that is, and put it on??

That's common

Do you load like that for every round?

I do

• Like 1

^^^^^

Are you measuring from the base to the meplat or base to ogive?

Bullets can fluctuate in length based on the tip. From my experience, hollow points are the worst. You will easily see those kind of fluctuations based on the difference of meplat shape from bullet to bullet.

I just measured five 140gn 6.5mm Sierra Matchkings from base to meplat and they were....

1.314"

1.301"

1.310"

1.306"

1.312"

Difference of 0.013".

Five Hornady 105gn Amax's were much closer with 0.002" as the biggest spread.

You probably have some slop in your press linkage. That wobble can lead to slight variance in bullet seating. Also, are you using a reliable comparator tool that measures the bullet at the same place just below the tip? If you are measuring COAL from base of the case to the tip of the seated bullet you will easily have variation of the amount you mention. Or more. It is not a big deal in a hunting rifle. If you have a target rifle with match chamber, then you would need to be a little fussier.

forepaw

• Like 1

I measure from bottom to tip. Im not to familiarly with the tool for ogive. Any advice? My comparator tool works great. I was testing it over and over and it works fine.

As has been suggested .003 is fine. Each bullet maybe a different length also. Soft points are never the same length because the tip on one is not the same as the other. I always measure Ogive rather than tip.

Another reason I despise RCBS dies is the adjustments. I prefer Redding and I buy the Comp Dies when I can. The micrometer is so much easier. RCBS Comp Dies are pretty good too, just not the normal everyday dies. I hate them.

Like others have said, get a tool like hornady's to measure to the ogive. Redding's competition shell holders are also awesome. They come in a set in .002" increments, allowing you to leave the die alone and simply swap shell holders to make .002" adjustments to seated length.