Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

The Good 'Ol Days

On 10/17/2019 at 3:39 PM, Outdoor Writer said:

The name doesn't click with me, and I've never hunted grouse or turkey on the Kaibab

chuck nikolai 1991

chucknikolai.thumb.jpg.cd1d44ef68fcaa8e97d6d2c67dac77cd.jpg

Todos Santos off Ensenada.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:39 AM, biglakejake said:

chuck nikolai 1991

Lee, 

Resurrecting this thread because my son reminded me of something a while back.

How old would Chuck have been in the 1960s, early 1970s? And he could have possibly hunted deer on the Kaibab rather than grouse or turkey? 

in the 1960's he was a store opener cook w denny's, 20-30yo.

1970 he was 40/41 and later he followed the trap and live pigeon circuit around and sous chef-ed when in wisconsin.  worked at sportsmans clearing house(steve rothbard) in tempe and then just crewed at trap clubs in tucson & beeline & wisconsin.  incorrigible pipe smoker.  he used your name re grouse in the white mtns and coues down south.  no big deal he just used your name alot.  gone now.

lee

7 hours ago, biglakejake said:

in the 1960's he was a store opener cook w denny's, 20-30yo.

1970 he was 40/41 and later he followed the trap and live pigeon circuit around and sous chef-ed when in wisconsin.  worked at sportsmans clearing house(steve rothbard) in tempe and then just crewed at trap clubs in tucson & beeline & wisconsin.  incorrigible pipe smoker.  he used your name re grouse in the white mtns and coues down south.  no big deal he just used your name alot.  gone now.

lee

No big deal but it's bugging me!! 🤬I've really only known one "Chuck" in my life, and he was the outfitter with the last name of Hester that I guided for in Colorado in the 1970s. The hunting grouse part is what has me scratching my head because I've never hunted them in AZ. I did have a cousin here in PHX with the same name as me who owned an ACE hardware store, but he wasn't a hunter. 

Now, the "Chuck" my son mentioned was actually a stranger that we met on the North Kaibab in the late 1960s. We were camped down by Crazy Jug Point and a guy came by one evening. He was alone and had never hunted on the 'Bab so I invited him to camp near us, which he did. I never got his last name, though, and as I said, we were hunting deer, not grouse or turkey.

So I guess it will forever remain a mystery. 🤷‍♂️