Sign in to follow this  
AZ_Native

Because... they are dogs!

May as well start a new thread to start a new duck season. Let's see some pic's of the pooches. My "little" puppy Drake will see his first full year of Duck hunting. He just turned 1 yr old a couple of weeks ago and has a very natural birdiness to him. He did great on Dove a month ago with virtually no training. I guess it was OJT for him... Had him out earlier this year when he was still pretty young and small (compared to his 90 lbs now) on my neighbor's junior duck and he got to do a little retrieving then. Will be interesting to see how he does now!

Drake, a couple months ago up at the cabin in Pinetop. This dog loves his walks in the woods and keeps a tight 20 yards working perimeter.

Drake.jpg

Earlier this year on his first taste of duck hunting with the neighbor's last day to junior hunt. Don't mind the mergansers, he wanted to try to cook those...

IMG_0247.jpg

"I'm ready to go float the river for some ducks dad!!!"

Drake8.jpg

• Like 7

Great lookin pup you got yourself!

Guest akaspecials

Nice lookin pup! That spot on the river in your picture is a beast to hunt without a dog. Twisted a few ankles there trying to grab cripples!

Thanks PelaPapas. He does get a lot of compliments. He ended up having that classic Chocolate Lab physique and great coat. I feel I got really lucky with this find. He has been a joy to raise without really causing any trouble at all. He's just a big couch potato that will jump at every chance to go have fun outside! akaspecials, I would agree with that spot of the river. I don't hunt it much, but you certainly have to pick your steps carefully. Now I just need to get the bigger kayak that will handle this pooch.

Here's my fearless 7 year old. Buddy bailed on me for a scouting trip we'd had planned for a while, so Monday I was solo. Called a little. After shooting a coyote, my lab tool off (not the first time he's done so). I tried to find him for about 20 minutes then decided I'd either find him on way back or he'd be at the truck or ranger waiting. I finished my morning and got back to the ranger about 2 hours or so later. Kid you not, this is exactly how I found him looking like he would have said "where ya been dad, I was worried about you?"

20161010_093959_zpsio7e3czc.jpg

• Like 3

Well at least your dog runs back to the truck! That would make me pretty nervous. :unsure:

Here's my little man, Bowen. Anxious to get him on his first retrieve in AZ.

Had a good laugh watching him drag that sandhill crane back to me last season. I'll have my gear here in 2 weeks, ready to throw some steel in the air!

post-14766-0-53143100-1476891038_thumb.jpg

post-14766-0-02573400-1476891043_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My 5 month old gsp. More like 4 months in this pic though

post-12322-0-53965400-1479364277_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My 5 month old gsp. More like 4 months in this pic though

Where'd you get her?

• Like 1

From a guy in Tucson it was his first time breeding. But she has very good instincts. I was looking at her pedigree and their are a few field champions in their