Sign in to follow this  
TexasHunter

first of 3

This year everyone in my family got a tag. Mine was up first. I put in for the early hunt trying to get on a buck we have been watching for a while. We knew it would be tough because he was in an area with a lot of hunters. The first day my buddy and I spent the day glossing and trying to get away from the hoards of people. We saw no deer and lots of people. My wife joined us the second day of the hunt thankfully because she is a monster behind the glass. The second morning was spent much the same as the first day. My wife made the call to leave the area and try a different location we knew had good deer and way less pressure. On the journey to the new spot going up some steep roads my buddy's truck broke the front drive shaft and getting him stuck in a rather sticky situation trying to back his truck down a steep road without rolling it down the cliff on one side. After almost three hours of messing with the truck we got it to flat ground. We all jumped in my truck and off we went. We got to the glossing spot and all hit the hills. After about an hour of seeing a few does my wife says I got a good buck bedded down but he is way out there. He was a nice 3x3 but he was 1500 yards and 3 canyons away. Me and my buddy start hiking that way. Along the way we saw tons of bear scat really fresh too. We finally made to about 300 yards from where the buck was last bedded. We glassed and glassed bit he was gone. Soon my buddy says I got a buck he isn't that big but he is in range. He was 500 yards out. I decided we had hiked to far to walk out light so I decided to take him. Right after I shot him my buddy says I wish I knew where that bear was. Sure enough 200 yards from us a huge cinnamon bear. I will tell you I sure was nervous cleaning that dear. Prolly the quickest and worst job I have ever done but I didn't want to spend much time there. After a long hike out in the dark we are ready to eat some backstraps. good luck to all the other guys still out there.

• Like 2

Congrats!

Can we borrow your wife for the second hunt? I can't even see the friggin mountain at 1500 yds!

We have our sons hunt on the second hunt lol or I'm sure she would love to.