Roboz

Pressure 24B

I will be driving down for my hunt leaving Colorado on November 26th staying the whole week if needed, what can i expect for pressure ? Will there be hunters on every hill? I have hunted it for Javelina in archery and never really saw anyone but i have a feeling rifle deer may be alot different.

Funny you ask.....I feel the same way about the unit we are headed too this weekend. We have never hunted the unit, we have done some pretty decent scouting and located some bucks, but that was not "during" the hunt.

Even in units that I am very familiar with I prepare for the what if scenario..........somebody is on "my" glassing ridge where I have been getting trail cam pictures and I know there are good bucks there.

That stuff just happens and you better have an a,b,c,d, and e list of where you want to try and go just in case!!!

Personally due to work, I am going to go down in during the middle of the day opening morning......get camp set up and then go for a drive to see who is where and what and let the chips fall.........rather be doing that then working any day.

Good luck to you and be safe!!!

Guest akaspecials

I spent opening weekend in 24b for the first rifle hunts (this past weekend). In one area I saw one other group and had the rest of the woods to myself for about 3 miles on either side. Went down another road and there were hunters every 1/2 mile. If you hike and get away from roads, you won't see anyone. If you are in a vehicle you will likely be sharing areas with other hunters.

if you like travelling roads you will see many hunters. Some guys glassing while sitting on the road. Most are gone after the weekend. If your willing to hike there is plenty of open country and deer.

• Like 1

There are not a lot of roads to hunt by the lake. There are a lot of trails though. With that said the late Nov early Dec hunt is a very good hunt. Usually, the pre rut is getting started and some of the big boys are out.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice, i will probably scout and see where everyone else is and go from there. I will probably bring my ATV and leave the truck at camp. Not afraid to hike, probably take the ATV to where I will start my hikes.

Lots of space in 24B. I had that same late November hunt last year. I tagged out opening morning and only crossed paths with one other hunter on the drive out and he had also tagged out.

• Like 1

Ive taken three deer out of that unit with my bow. Like others have stated, get off the road. I usually pack in for a couple nights at a time and never see anyone on my ridge. Its not a unit that has a ton of deer, but theres enough to have a real good chance at success. If you get a couple days in and are having difficulties, get in touch with me. Its a long drive, hate to see you go home empty handed.

• Like 2

Thanks mattys281, i appreciate the offer, hopefully i wont have to make that call, But its good to know that someone would be willing to help a guy out.

Thanks mattys281, i appreciate the offer, hopefully i wont have to make that call, But its good to know that someone would be willing to help a guy out.

It's not trouble. I need to get out there and start scouting for December anyway.

I've only recently started to hunt out of state, but last year and this year we were helped by friendly locals and I know it can really make a big difference to a guy that's trying to figure it out from hundreds of miles away. Besides, if I don't draw an elk tag here next year, I'll be heading back to your neck of the woods, maybe we could make a trade on intel.

Thank you, as it gets closer i may get a hold of you.Elk and deer are tough this year in Colorado as the temps are still in the mid-low 70's everyday when we should be in the upper 50's.

I was up there hunting 2nd rifle season with a friend last week. It was pretty rough, crazy warm, and the orange army was everywhere. Ive never seen so many other hunters in the field at one time.

Saw some elk and some muleys, but never laid eyes on a legal bull in 4 days.

I can believe that, i have a buck tag for this upcoming weekend and they gave out 355 additional tags for this area between 2nd and 3rd seasons, orange army is going to be crazy this weekend. What part of the state were you hunting?

Just up from cortez in the dolores area. Beautiful country, but weird hunting situation. All private land along the creeks and rivers with guides pushing them up the hills, and loaded with diy hunters on the mountain tops pushing them down the hills. We were told you had to walk in deep away from the roads to find them on the hillsides. A lot of horse trailers for packing animals out. It was definetely an educational experience.

Last morning I was there I found a nice deep basin full of dead falls and loaded with fresh sign about 200-300ft below the ridge line. I wish I would've found it the first day, but even if I had shot one I there it was so steep and nasty it probably would have been a 2day deal to hike one out of there without horses.

I think next year I'll make sure I have some horses on stand by.