Red Rabbit

New Elk Rifle

While looking at Gunbroker for a nice Winchester Super Grade, I spied a high grade Featherweight stock with good looking wood. Temptation bit, so I now had a bare stock with no rifle to put in it. (Kinda like buying reloading dies for a chambering you do not own.) With an elk hunt in late November in Arizona Unit 9 by the Grand Canyon, and having never owned a 30-06, Gunbroker yielded a Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06.

This weekend, the barreled action was glass-bedded in to the stock (something I had not done in 30 years), Leupold 4.5-14x40 B&C mounted in medium dual dovetails, and Ultra Bore Cote applied. After the bedding cures, we shall see how it likes the copper TTSX and e-tips for those condors.

Ed1600Win%20Fwt%2030-06_0002_zpspghuq4j9

Ed1600Win%20Fwt%2030-06_0001_zpshona9avf

Ed1600Win%20Fwt%2030-06_0005_zpsychp842d

Ed1600Win%20Fwt%2030-06_0003_zpslzgtori7

• Like 9

Gorgeous wood grain on that stock. As far as copper goes, I've had great luck playing around with the 180 grain E-tips in my .06.

Great looking setup Doug! Let us know how she shoots.

That is a beautiful rifle. Love the wood grain on that thing. You spied well! :)

Very nice looking rifle.

Thanks for the comments. Looks like the winds my lay lower on Wednesday to shoot some groups. An assortment of factory loads will be tried first.

Allforelk- the 180 e-tips are loaded for the backup 300 WSM. It's an HS precision, but those that know me know that I prefer good-looking wood over alaskan walnut.

• Like 5

Beautiful rifle. Congratulations

The bedding has cured and low DD rings swapped in for the too-high mediums, so went out yesterday afternoon with 10 rounds to shoot and cure the Ultra Bore Coat. When letting the barrel cool between rounds, I figured that I may as well bore sight it. Removed the bolt and centered an object while looking down the bore, and adjusted the reticle. Good or go now as it was busting rocks at 100 yards offhand, sitting, and kneeling for the next 7 rounds. It should be pie plate accurate now and ready for the 1000 yard "if lead don't fly" club :rolleyes: (reference to other thread in the long range forum)

Looks like 20mph winds and rain for the next few days, so the official sighting-in and load testing will have to wait until next week.

• Like 3