GreyGhost85

"Good to a thousand" mentality??

AzDiamondHeat, Don't think you will get any takers. My best guess is that Maybe one in twenty five could do it.

AzDiamondHeat, Don't think you will get any takers. My best guess is that Maybe one in twenty five could do it.

he wont get any takers because no one is going throw down a $1000 to prove some internet troll he can shoot. nor is anyone going to match that 1000. it should be like $100 and 3 shots since when you shoot and miss at 1000 they just stand there and give you more opportunities. i think you could get few people to show up. but i doubt anyone to show up and match those bets.

he wont get any takers because no one is going throw down a $1000 to prove some internet troll he can shoot. nor is anyone going to match that 1000. it should be like $100 and 3 shots since when you shoot and miss at 1000 they just stand there and give you more opportunities. i think you could get few people to show up. but i doubt anyone to show up and match those bets.

Internet troll? Do you even know what the definition of a troll is?

What is wrong with you man? I have never seen so much negativity form any one human being on any website EVER.

In case you missed it, I didn't offer a challenge. It was simply a hypothetical QUESTION.

But you have proved my point. Lots of keyboard snipers. The OP opined about the "good to a thousand" keyboard warriors. Not "good to a thousand if I have perfect conditions and get three shots".

And yes, I am one of those OLD GUYS. I would put my money on an old guy who doesn't have to brag any day.

Seriously man. Why do you have to make personal attacks on so many people and just be so insulting all the time? Seriously.

Never mind. I found the ignore button.

Internet troll? Do you even know what the definition of a troll is?

What is wrong with you man? I have never seen so much negativity form any one human being on any website EVER.

In case you missed it, I didn't offer a challenge. It was simply a hypothetical QUESTION.

But you have proved my point. Lots of keyboard snipers. The OP opined about the "good to a thousand" keyboard warriors. Not "good to a thousand if I have perfect conditions and get three shots".

And yes, I am one of those OLD GUYS. I would put my money on an old guy who doesn't have to brag any day.

Seriously man. Why do you have to make personal attacks on so many people and just be so insulting all the time? Seriously.

Never mind. I found the ignore button.

i meant troll as a term of endearment

I work part-time at a gunshop over by Intel. We have had several engineers tell us that they wanted to buy a 338 Lupua and a high-end Vortex (400max) and were going to shoot long distance. One guy told us he had never shot anything but a handgun but since he was an engineer and he knew the math involved, he would be good out to 1500yards. His shooting mentor was a Youtube guy that "offers training much better then what our Military Snipers and LEO get." We tried to talk him off of his perch but he probably just bought his setup from someone else.

What I learned from these guys is "Shooting long distance is just math, anyone can do it."

Ha ha ha ha! So is basketball, and football "just math"! But every basketball and football pro will tell you its not the amount of basketball/ football games that make them great, its the everyday fundamental routine practice, practice, practice over and over and of course using math.

It appears that most of if not all of the serious long range guys here have steered clear of this thread. I've been watching it for a while. It is quite entertaining and there have been some very good points made. I think most of the guys that are really dedicated to the sport are hesitant to reply simply because we typically get nailed to the stake naked and lit on fire. With that in mind, I'll offer a few cents but will tread lightly.

I agree that too many hunters have the "good to 1k" mentality when in reality, they have no business attempting a 1k yard shot in field conditions under pressure. The rifle may be capable and the ammo might also be capable but as we all know, the shooter is often the weak link. That said, it is not all about the shooter or all about the rifle or all about the ammo. All three have to be capable. It doesn't matter how accurate a shooter is if his rifle wont make a consistent hit and it doesn't matter how consistent the rifle will hit if the shooter cant squeeze off a consistent shot. To further exacerbate the problem, will the bullet expand at reduced velocities found at long range?

A little about the shooter. I know first hand how practice or a lack of practice plays into accurate, consistent shots. There was about two years there where shooting for me was minimal. Then this year I was frustrated that I couldn't hit as well as I liked whether it was 300 yards or 800 yards and beyond. This was very frustrating having been used to making good hits past 1/2 mile on a very consistent basis. After really analyzing the situation, it became clear that not having had consistent time behind the trigger for a couple of years really lent to me not being consistent. It felt like I should be shooting great but the other end of the range does not lie. After thousands of dry fires at the kitchen table and just under 1000 rounds of live fire so far this year, I am shooting as well as ever both from the bench and prone of the bi-pod. My hunting bipod too not just my FTR bipod. I spent a lot of time this year at the 1000 range shooting between 100-1007 yards both from the bench and prone. I also shot a couple of our 600 yard rifle matches. Also I spent time away from the organized range and shot in the field out to 750 yards. By the time hunting season came along I felt confident that anything between 0 and 800 yards was dead but it took time, money and dedication to get there. Now the caveat to this is of course if the conditions are right. Just because I felt reasonably comfortable at a grand and deadly at 800 didn't mean I would have taken any shot. Often times, good clean shots taken in good conditions happen. Sometimes good conditions happen and sometimes they don't. They key here is know your limitations not only in distance and equipment, but the conditions you're in. There have been times I have passed on 550 yard shots when I normally feel deadly at well beyond that because the wind wasn't right or the position and rest wasn't right or a combination of things. Sometimes I can live with a less than perfect rest if the lighting is good and the wind is calm. Or if the wind is a little out of my comfort zone but the range isn't bad and my rest and form is solid, I can live with that but when more than one thing is less than desirable, its best to pass. At least in my opinion.

Fortunately this year, both of my kills (one moose and one caribou) were under 400 yards. One at 290 and another at 380. Both were in less than ideal conditions but having spent so much time behind the trigger this year were one shot kills. Neither allowed me to get prone and use the bipod. Both forced me to use an improvised field rests but were solid enough to keep the crosshairs on a killable spot.

Bottom line. It takes good equipment, good ammo and good shot execution to make this work reliably and consistently. Then it also takes the right conditions. You might even hear me say "good to 1000". But I also know that this statement does have limitations with terms, conditions and exclusions. I am hoping that most hunters saying "good to 1000" understand those same terms and conditions. I also understand that there are those even more dedicated than I am in this sport and far be it for me to judge him or her for taking any given shot. Besides, we all have to stick together. Arguing about ethics within our own community is more destructive than anything the anti hunters and animal rights activists can stir up. The worst thing that can happen is for us to be executed with our own weapons.

Regards,

M

• Like 8

It appears that most of if not all of the serious long range guys here have steered clear of this thread. I've been watching it for a while

has any person in this thread even said they could shoot a thousand yards?

I can shoot 1000 yards, easily. On the side of a box of 22lr, it says they can shoot 1.5 miles. I cant hit shxt, but I can shoot 1000+ all day long.

• Like 1

I can shoot 1000 yards, easily. On the side of a box of 22lr, it says they can shoot 1.5 miles. I cant hit shoot, but I can shoot 1000+ all day long.

you could shoot 1000 in your sleep i bet

I think that one of the problems is that people will use a lead sled to practice. They might have a rifle that is good to a 1000 in a vice but they never tried their own skill. They think if they get a good rest and squeeze thats it. If you dont square your shoulder, load your bipod properly you will never be proficient at these ranges. Dont get me wrong there is a use for devices like the lead slead. I use one when working up new loads, so i can take out the human error. I also use it to compare what the rifle is capable of and compare that to what i can. Its helped me find some some bad habits. I have a custom 6.5x284 that consistently shoots 1.5" groups at 600 yards using the lead sled. Shooting prone i havent been able to match those numbers yet. Im usually closer to the 2" to 2.5" group. I keep trying to better myself and hopefully one day i will shoot as good as my rifle.

The key is to practice shooting in hunting positions, know your limits, and always get as close as possible.

• Like 1

Dad and I shot a double last night at 450 yards. Never practiced long shots with the sun glaring right on your scope. I'll have to add that to the list of things I need to practice. Haven't experienced something as frustrating as trying to be a spotter and shade the scope and try to see a deer tucked in the shade.

AzDiamondHeat give me 12" at 1000, and i pick the day and the spot. 2 shots 500 a shot

Jake Jaycox

• Like 2