Sign in to follow this  
Garmin

Andy Morgan: As the Seasons Change, So Should Your Jig

There are thousands of different jigs out there and every style and color has a time and/or place in which it is most effective. I typically donât spend a lot of time on the water after the season is over because Iâm usually in the woods hunting, but on the rare occasion I do hit the lake in the fall, jigs are one of my go-to baits. Here are a few tips that I hope will help you catch more fish on a jig as the seasons change.

Size

Here at home (Dayton, Tenn. near Lake Chickamauga) where there are a lot of big fish, most of the time Iâm always throwing big baits. But in cold water versus warm to hot water, Iâll start to make some changes to the weight and size.

Early on in the fall when water temperatures are warmer and fairly clean, a lot of the bigger fish will still be active, so Iâll use a big jig with a larger profile to entice bigger fish.

During the winter when water temps are still in the 40s, Iâll use a smaller jig like the War Eagle Heavy Finesse jig on 12-pound fluorocarbon. Iâve caught a ton of fish on that setup after a cold front and in cold water. Towards the end of winter as temperatures are slowly rising, Iâll throw a lighter jig and sometimes one with a smaller profile.

I find that the biggest differences are when temperatures start warming up out of the 40s and into the 60s. Water color plays a big part in the changes you make. If itâs super clear, youâre going to want to use smaller baits and lighter line most of the time. There are a lot of different variances there. For example, if Iâm fishing dirty water and temps are in the mid-50s, Iâll use a lighter jig, darker color, with heavy line. Those fish are going to be shallow, so youâll need to use a larger profile jig just so the fish can even see it.

Trailer

90% of the time, Iâm using a Zoom Super Chunk Jr jig trailer. I go through bulk bags of those every year. As the water gets warmer and itâs fairly clear, Iâm going to go up to maybe a ¾ oz. jig, even if Iâm fishing shallow. With the ¾ ounce jig, Iâll switch to a regular size Zoom Super Chunk, which is quite a bit bigger than the Jr. Itâs going to give me a bigger profile and slow that fall down just a little bit, but Iâm doing it mostly for the profile.

Also read: How Andy Morgan Pulled off Comeback Victory for Third AOY Title

Do you love hunting and fishing? Follow us at: @garminfishhunt on Twitter and Instagram, and on Facebook @Garmin Fish & Hunt. Donât forget to tag us using #FishGarmin or #HuntGarmin for a chance to be featured on our channel!

The post Andy Morgan: As the Seasons Change, So Should Your Jig appeared first on Garmin Blog.

View the full article
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this