Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

Vortex Razor 11-33x50 questions

I was wondering if anyone has used one of the small vortex spotting scopes and if they liked or disliked it? They are very small and lightweight and would be great to backpack with. Sorry if this has already been discussed in a topic and if so can you attach the link. Thanks

Worthless past 400 yards , had one . I could see better with my binoculars. The reason for spotting scope is to detail what your ibinos won't from distance. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

My dad bought me one for Christmas and I like it.. Definitely something a bow hunter would find more handy as its small and lightweight...

Pros - Its small and light weight

Cons- Magnification sometimes I feel like I should have taken it back and dropped another 1k for some Swaro 15's

I'm a bit surprised by the not so good opinions on this scope. While I've never used one in the field I did have the chance to look through one at the store and I thought it looked pretty good to me. I've also heard quite a few people saying the 50mm Vortex compares favorably to the Nikon ED50 which I've had for about 10 years now and I absolutely love this little scope. I wonder if some people are getting bad copies of these little Vortex scopes. I can use up 35x-40x with my ED50 without any problems other than a dim image in low light conditions.

Are you looking for a spotting scope specifically used for backpacking or are you looking for a scope for general all around use?

I'm a bit surprised by the not so good opinions on this scope. While I've never used one in the field I did have the chance to look through one at the store and I thought it looked pretty good to me. I've also heard quite a few people saying the 50mm Vortex compares favorably to the Nikon ED50 which I've had for about 10 years now and I absolutely love this little scope. I wonder if some people are getting bad copies of these little Vortex scopes. I can use up 35x-40x with my ED50 without any problems other than a dim image in low light conditions.

Are you looking for a spotting scope specifically used for backpacking or are you looking for a scope for general all around use?

Good question... If you are a back pack hunter this scope is awesome and perfect for that..

Thanks for the responses everyone. OpticNerd = I was planning on using it on backpacking trips and of course since I had it I would use from the road/vehicle at times. I looked through one at Ross Outdoors and it seemed decent to me, I know its not a top of the line spotter but I loved the size and that it weighs about 1.5 lbs.

For me every ounce counts when I'm backpacking. For a packing scope it's hard to beat these little guys IMO. Also when using my 50mm I can use my lightweight tripod and head combo that save me a good amount of weight. I wish I had some real world experience with the Vortex for you. As far as a 50mm scope goes I've been very satisfied with the results that I get from mine.

• Like 1

OpticNerd I sent you a pm!

I had one a couple years ago. It is dim at low light conditions and loses its clarity on the upper end of its magnification. But if you are using for backpacking you cannot beat it. Wish it had the ability to tilt like the 65 and 85. Would be cool to make some little big eyes with them

I had the Nikon ed50 with the 13-30x eyepiece and loved it'. Went to this scope and liked it just the same. Wish I would have bought the 13-40x on the Nikon ed and I would probably still have it. Only downfall is the magnification on this little spotter otherwise I was satisfied with the quality. I now carry a swaro 20-60hd which is 1.5 lbs heavier just for the magnification and too save my feet

I just got this scope at the end of summer and really like it. I use it on back country hunts where every ounce counts. It's a great little scope IMO. I've used it now on a couple hunts (coues deer and barbary sheep) and have zero complaints. My buddies that have looked through have really liked it too. Pair it with a light tripod and you're good to go.

• Like 1