elkman

Buffalo tag

Well after 21 bonus points i drew a any buffalo tag on the rim. I am curios about the time of year i drew. My hunt is July21-aug3. What are the buffalo doing this time of year? Any insight? I am excited to start making trips up there scouting. Going to be a loooong summer with alot of driving. has anyone left a toy hauler up there for extended periods of time and had any issues with anything?.

Congrats on your tag! Search the buffalo threads here and I think you will find out some info.

Congrqts, taking care of the hide and the meat is very important that time of year, it will spoil fast.

It will be the best eating game meat you have ever had…You will want to coordinate with Russ Jacoby and the other hunters, although I think some larger herds will be moving out of the park around that time. Cow tag?

I heard that time a year there were large herds off the park. I am hoping so. I have an any Buffalo tag I will be holding out for a bull

I got the early hunt... 1/1 to 6/1. Trying to round up info myself. I can fill you in with my experience once I get into it. Would love to hunt them without sitting on salt or in a blind, but it sounds like that is how most successful hunters do it these days. Email me and we can share info.... byorksmith@gmail.com

Sit the salt closest to the park entrance. Or there is a little canyon close to that which is equally good. If it rains, scout for deer. .

I have the early hunt also. Keep in touch. I will let you know what I see.

In July/Aug the bulk of the herd should still be down on the ranch. House Rock is the traditional calving grounds for the herd, so you will find the vast bulk of them down off the rim. What drives them higher is hunting pressure. AZGFD has done a great job in limiting the number of hunters and 'guests' that start to hunt the herds in June/July. By limiting the hunters to just one or two going after the herds at a time, they have been much more successful in keeping them down off the rim at that time of year. When I had my hunt up there, we all attended a meeting where we learned how the hunt was to be conducted. I'm not sure if that is still how it is done, but back then there were five tags in my hunt. Hunters holding permits 001 and 002 were taken out with a field guide to hunt the herd, while the other hunters stayed in camp. Once we had filled our tags, then hunters 003 and 004 were up. It was a great system that kept the buffalo on the ranch.

My Buddy drew the Cow July 21st- Aug 3rd hunt and I am the 1st Buffalo helper assister in charge.

The adventrue has begun.

We are going to the AZGFD Buffalo Seminar.

Looking forward to meeting the other hunters.

-Curt

Treat the salt placed by guides who "help" everybody depending on how much they pay like a popular waterhole.. set up on the trail heading in and get the first drop..