SlikRick02

What Shooting/Ballistics Apps do you prefer best?

I am looking to see what shooting apps works best for all you out there! I have been looking at the Strelok plus app but a big complaint was not being able to enter barrel length info! What do you guys use and seem to work best for you?

Used Isnipe and it was good but required all the inputs to be accurate now I use a g7 range finder and it has been spot on every time out to 850 yards I have tested. It also accounts for angle,temp,Baro,

altitude.

• Like 1

I use a G7, but prior to that I loved the Shooter app! Whatever app you use I highly recommend using onr with range validation.

And I wish I could afford a G7 but after building the rifle and the scope I find myself quite strapped at the moment! Hopefully Santa brings me a G7 if not then I will have to wait for that lol

I've had excellent results with Applied Ballistics. Trying to keep it short (sorry),here are just a few features of the app. It will give you either a 'heads-up' elevation and windage click adjustment, or a trajectory/windage chart to the target distance. With this display you can instantly click the range up or down based upon the target's movement. You can use either MOA or Mils equipment with this app. If you have a SFP (never needed with FFP scopes) scope that can be used accurately for reticle scaling at only one specific magnification level (Example of 10 power), the app can give you corrections at your other scope powers (normally unusable). You can save both weapons, sight, and different load characteristics to pick from for fast current conditions data entry. It also has a large built in bullet data library with basic info, and has actual measured B/Cs of over 200 bullets, to reduce time and work when inputting data for different loads. Depending on whether you use a traditional flat base bullet (G1 model) or modern boat-tail bullet (G7 model), you can select either of the two drag models for more accuracy. You have the choice of using or not using spin drift and coriolis effect corrections, if needed. AB also takes aerodynamic jump into account. You have the ability to enter your zero(ing) atmospheric conditions (conditions you zero'd in) and the app will make corrections if you're shooting in different atmospheric conditions, which is very helpful for those zero'd at ranges far greater than 100 yards. AB will also adjust muzzle velocity based upon field powder temperatures, so you are always basing firing solutions on actual bullet speed data (you must chrono your loads at different temps to get specific FPS/degree variances). This avoids using a one speed fits all scenario which is incorrect at any temperature except that which you chrono'd and zero'd in. You can also blue-tooth Kestrel data. Never forget field confirmation. I found AB really helps in long range shooting, is easy to use, and have it loaded in my cell phones. I carry a 'Whiz Wheel' for back up in case of power or equipment damage. Fortunately there are many good ballistics apps out there now.

I use the Shooter app. Has all the features I could possibly need (and then some) and with the correct data it is dead on. Plus I recently switched phones and was able to log in and pull all my data back onto my phone without having to re-enter everything.

• Like 1

I recently purchased the Applied ballistics app after reading Bryan Litz book on modern advancements in long range shooting. He has a chapter in there about ballistics apps and programs and how he developed and tested his app multiple times and at multiple ranges all over the world in varying conditions. With his app he was able to shoot aout to 1500 yards with solutions giving him accurate predictions to within 1" most of the time out to 1000 yards and within 6" out to 1500 yards. I found that absolutely incredible and decided to buy right then and there. I gave it a good test this weekend on a few different rifles after gathering chrono data from the magneto speed. Each rifle was spot on out to 1000 yards, one shot hits on everything, well worth the money. Like Bryan says though crap in crap out, you must take the time to input all the variables correctly muzzle velocity, std dev, twist rate, scope height and atmospherics all need to be correct. The other thing I really like about it is the bullet library having his correct and verified BC numbers and drag models for lots of different bullets. It's pricey but if you want to use an app for shooting it's well worth the money and only costs a little more to go first class.

• Like 1

I have two....Isnipe and Shooter.

I have two rifles one with a MIL and one with an MOA. It's a pain to switch from MIL / MIL to MOA /Clicks....and since my two boys have a hunt together I have two apps each setup for one rifle (didn't want to have to do in a hurry in the field).

The two apps are exactly the same as far as corrections...I have "played with them both". Isnipe is easier and is better (in my opinion) I have emailed Isnipe and they responded. Both are priced the same.

The only input missing from Isnipe is twist rate, but again both corrections are identical - once and a while one will be 4.1 and the other 4.2 (but its a matter of 2 inches).

I recently purchased the Applied ballistics app after reading Bryan Litz book on modern advancements in long range shooting. He has a chapter in there about ballistics apps and programs and how he developed and tested his app multiple times and at multiple ranges all over the world in varying conditions. With his app he was able to shoot aout to 1500 yards with solutions giving him accurate predictions to within 1" most of the time out to 1000 yards and within 6" out to 1500 yards. I found that absolutely incredible and decided to buy right then and there. I gave it a good test this weekend on a few different rifles after gathering chrono data from the magneto speed. Each rifle was spot on out to 1000 yards, one shot hits on everything, well worth the money. Like Bryan says though crap in crap out, you must take the time to input all the variables correctly muzzle velocity, std dev, twist rate, scope height and atmospherics all need to be correct. The other thing I really like about it is the bullet library having his correct and verified BC numbers and drag models for lots of different bullets. It's pricey but if you want to use an app for shooting it's well worth the money and only costs a little more to go first class.

did you compare the numbers to the shooter app to see if they were much different

I don't have the shooter app to compare it to. I did however, compare it to the Berger online calculator which is what I used in the past and it did tighten the numbers up from that a bit. The Berger calc always got me close within a couple clicks at most ranges but it doesn't account for twist rate, spin drift, aerodynamic jump or any of those other small variables that the applied ballistics app does. With the online calc I would always guess at what the actual temp would be for the range that day and use absolute pressure. The AB App pulls all that info from the nearest weather station automatically so you have accurate atmospherics. That works out nicely as the nearest weather station is only about 2 miles Northeast from our local range.

sounds like the AB Ballistics is the better app and only costs a minimal amount more....

here is a question. on a second focal plane scope, does the magnification of the scope affect the point of impact. Example if I sight my gun in at 200 yds and shoot 700 on a 15 or 18 power, should I expect the same point of impact.

I have a SFP scope - my FFP is not affected by power

sounds like the AB Ballistics is the better app and only costs a minimal amount more....

here is a question. on a second focal plane scope, does the magnification of the scope affect the point of impact. Example if I sight my gun in at 200 yds and shoot 700 on a 15 or 18 power, should I expect the same point of impact.

I have a SFP scope - my FFP is not affected by power

In for answers we were just talking about this at work. I thought it doesn't make any difference??