Sign in to follow this  
pete

Felt like a kid again

As I write this dog tired and cuddled up to a bottle of aleve I feel humbled.

My 13 year son had a deer tag in 24a for the second time in a row. With no luck on the first hunt we were bound and determined to make it happen on the second hunt with a added bonus of having my son's bestfriend Caleb join us. Luckly I had the tag 2 weeks prior and was able to shoot a 104 and locate some other bucks for him. With a short amount of time for his hunt we decided to just stay out all day Saturday not showing up till Friday night. Being 43 which is young to some who will read this but certainly not a spring chicken any more. I felt like a kid again hunting with these 2 great teenagers. I found my self being waited on which was always the other way around when they were young. We headed out Sat. morning early to get to a great glassing spot (24A isn't exactly a big secret to coues hunter's). Within 1 hour we found three bucks about a mile away. We watched them for 1 hour and the only fed about 10 yards across the hill that they were on. We decided to make are move to get into shooting distance. So off the mountain into a haired over canyon then back up to the top of the ridge popping at a perfect 240 yard shot for a 13 year old with a elk and a bear under his belt the confidence level was positive. We get him set up he's ready so "BOOM over son (the gun is sighted for 450 zero) aim at his belly ok dad Boom missed again you shot in front of him (buck runs over hill) darn it I missed don't worry son there is another one a little smaller standing broadside let him have it, ok dad BOOM missed BOOM missed SON TAKE YOUR TIME ok dad BOOM and that was it my son had just took a step forward into being a man. SON you got him. I would give any of my worldly possession to see that smile again wow what a cool feeling as A kid I certainly remember mine first deer. Sharing these traditions with my children while they are young is some of the best life medicine a man or woman can put in there body. When we recovered the buck and as Christians gave thanks for the beautiful creature from his creation. Looking at were the truck was approx. 2 miles back it was a unanimous decision to debone it right there. I commenced to quartering and the boys did A perfect job deboning their first deer. All packed up we headed for the truck and camp like I said I can go good but not like a teenager but they made me feel like one of them something all of us dad's want with are boys. Back at camp around four and we were whooped the boys started a fire and we sat there till 6:30 we decided to hit the hay. Up this morning at 8 another fire started, a little of pine cone baseball, a little scoring class to the best. Then how to roll a sleeping bag properly and how to put out a fire properly then 2 hour drive home to a meat cutting party with my 3 girls and wife to some fresh back strap for dinner to a bottle of aleve and the want to share this experience. What a great weekend I told my son that his buck scoring right at 91 that he would have a hard time topping that but a great time trying!!

Thanks for the read

Pete

post-2600-0-63968500-1478492800_thumb.jpg

post-2600-0-06957100-1478492823_thumb.jpg

post-2600-0-87655900-1478492944_thumb.jpg

post-2600-0-72548300-1478492967_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

That's awesome big congrats to your son I am over 50 so I know all about the aleve

I enjoyed reading that, thanks. Interesting you chose to zero your rifle at 450. You always do that? Just curious nothing else. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to do that with me. Good job and thanks for allowing other kids to be out there with you.

Great buck. I would have loved to see the bigger buck. Congrats on the success. I am also a little curious on the 450 yd zero. I zero my rifles at 250 and thought that was farther than most.

Quick clip on 450 zero.

I sight all my guns it at 25 yards after shooting out to its max range in the verifing of it's accuracy. Then I use a ballistic calculator to do the math yes at 200 yards I am 8 inches hi but for a kid or adult In MY opinion I think it is easier to hold low at close distance on a animal than to hold over at 450. I know my weapons can make that shot and for a kid that's a poke at 450. And at 500 its only 5 inches low so for ME with a good scope I can feel comfortable with my kids shooting 0-500 yards with many other factors that can [play in effect (angle, wind) when the weather is right and all the cards line up mostly likely 0-500 yards on a animal for US we know that we can ethically take a animal.

I do tell the kids that guns typically don't miss animals people miss animals.

Gun used

Custom built Remington 300 Rum

28 inch barrel with brake

shooting a 180 grain bullet with a .52 bullet CO

at 3401 fps

= lights out 0-500 yards

Thanks

Pete

• Like 1

Also as far as the bigger buck you boy's better get after because ol eagle eye Abbey (12 YEARS OLD ) has that tag day after thanksgiving I don't think that buck wil be so lucky with her behind the gun.

Good luck to all of you out there especially all of you marching your kids around god's creation sharing your passion's with the little one's.

Thanks

Pete

• Like 1

Awesome job guys! My oldest son will be hitting the hills next year and I found myself reading your story and dreaming of what it will be like with him....... I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Congrats on a beautiful buck....

-Ryan

• Like 1

Nice job guys

Huge congrats to you ALL. That is a nice buck! Sounds like a great hunt.

I'm 55 so Aleve barely cuts it. About time for Percocet!