Sign in to follow this  
AZHunter11

Coues Backpack Hunt

Quite the adventure for a meat buck...

I decided to do a backpack hunt this season, hoping to get away from hunting pressure and find a big buck. I scouted the unit almost every weekend for the last couple months to get to know new areas and find a few good glassing spots. I tend to put a lot of miles in when scouting/hunting; in some cases, 20 miles a day. It's all part of the experience! Anyway, I found one buck that I decided to chase come opening morning:

post-11907-0-88345700-1478557992_thumb.jpg

I scouted that area the weekend before the hunt and pack water back there. While I was there, I ran into a group of guys that had five tags and had already set up camp in that general area. They mentioned that they had a couple good bucks in their back pocket, so I assumed it was the same couple bucks I found before. Good group of guys, so I decided to give them space and check out another new area. The new spot I found on Google earth was about 7.5 miles from the trailhead, but great glassing and potential.

As the hunt approached, I was caught between three spots. One was the only water I found in the area (but had to go through nasty country to get there), a spot that I found a couple months back but didn't have a chance to follow up on before the hunt, and the one new spot with great glassing. I stay up on the weather daily before the hunt, and there was a storm system moving in the Thursday before the hunt. So, I decided against the spot with water and elected on the new spot with great views.

The day prior to the hunt, I backpacked in the 7.5 miles with 69 lbs total, including 10 liters of water, 4 days worth of food, rifle, and all of my other gear. I had to bring that much water since I chose not to hunt the area I packed water into the weekend before and there isn't any anywhere around. Also didn't want to assume that the storm was going to bring available water. Only thing I glassed up the evening before opening day was a bear unfortunately.

Passed on four smaller bucks opening day. I figured I put this much work in so I should be a little patient. Did take a video of a coues class clown; for some reason, I can't get the video to upload. He was jumping up and racking his horns on a tall tree, almost doing a complete back flop a couple times. He was also darting around the other buck, doe, and fawn that were around as well. Just a goofball.

Anyway, after two days of glassing, my patience ran out and I shot one of the smaller bucks. I shot the buck around 3:30 pm in a very steep canyon. I didn't realize the wash at the bottom was a shear drop as I tried to get to the deer, so it took me much longer to get over to him that I thought it would. Finally got to him around 5 pm, and had the meat deboned and cape strapped to the pack by 6 or so. Unfortunately, this is just the time that it became dark. I attempted to go down the steep wash to head back up the huge canyon wall, but about near killed myself in the first 20 feet down.

So, I roughed it out overnight. Of course, I didn't have any of my sleeping gear with me so it was a long, cold night. Couldn't sleep, so basically just waited 12 hours in the dark. I bundled up as much as I could but it wasn't enough, so... yep you guessed it, I used the deer cape to help keep me warm. I was either a manly mountain man or just inviting bears and lions to stop by haha. Only reason I caped it was to barter a cape for a euro mount; it was a bonus to help keep me warm.

Well, morning finally came and the spot I tried to go down was about impossible to get all the way down the wash (in one piece). I had to back-track quite a ways to get down the wash and then start my ascent up the canyon wall. It took about 5 hours to get back to camp (2000 ft elevation gain), and then another 5 hours to get back to the truck; about 12 miles total. All of this with about a 90-100 lb load... needless to say, I was exhausted.

Every year, I say that I'm going to stop shooting game that would make a miserable pack-out... don't think I'll ever learn haha. I'm not getting any younger so I figured might as well do it while I can! It's about the adventure, memories, and deer meat for me, so although it seemed stupid to pack out that small buck that far, it was still mission accomplished.

Ok, I'm done rambling. Thanks for reading and hope y'all have also had success this year!

post-11907-0-82405100-1478560341_thumb.jpg

• Like 24

What Trophyhunter said Hard core!! So much from getting from the crowds, sorry bro. Also you didn't bring matches?? I would of had some back straps that night! But i really can't say anything because I wouldn't have gone that far back into country. More man then me! Congrats on your buck

Wow. Very impressed with the effort. Not so much with the survival prep though. lol

You remind me of my younger brothers. They hump it out like you do. I am too old. I like my trailer.

Well done and nice reward for the effort.

Nicely done. I am curious what your gear choices were considering half your weight was in water? My load-out for a 4 night pack in trip is no where close to that when carrying all my water.

Your the man Tim! I know first hand how hard you prepared and worked for this hunt. Congratulations on success and I'm glad you made it out in one piece. I hope my optics did as well.😳🙏😂

• Like 1

Nicely done. I am curious what your gear choices were considering half your weight was in water? My load-out for a 4 night pack in trip is no where close to that when carrying all my water.

I edited my post. It was nearly 70 lbs with 10 liters of water. If you are interested, I can send you a copy of my gear list for this hunt. Here is a quick summary:

- Pack: 4.88 lbs

- Shelter and Sleeping Gear: 7.45 lbs

- Packed clothing: 2.38 lbs

- Optics: 13.77 lbs (10s, 15s, and 85mm Spotter)

- Rifle: 12.2 lbs

- Other Gear: 3.5 lbs

- Water: 22 lbs

- Food: 3.5 lbs

I did not bring my cook kit since I was conserving as much water as possible.

If anyone is interested, I don't mind sharing my comprehensive gear list. It includes weight, cost, nutrition, pie charts, etc.

• Like 1

I edited my post. It was nearly 70 lbs with 10 liters of water. If you are interested, I can send you a copy of my gear list for this hunt. Here is a quick summary:

- Pack: 4.88 lbs

- Shelter and Sleeping Gear: 7.45 lbs

- Packed clothing: 2.38 lbs

- Optics: 13.77 lbs (10s, 15s, and 85mm Spotter)

- Rifle: 12.2 lbs

- Other Gear: 3.5 lbs

- Water: 22 lbs

- Food: 3.5 lbs

I did not bring my cook kit since I was conserving as much water as possible.

If anyone is interested, I don't mind sharing my comprehensive gear list. It includes weight, cost, nutrition, pie charts, etc.

Pie charts?!? When I backpack I always bring pie, but never enough to where I need a chart to keep it organized.