Sign in to follow this  
AZHunter11

Coues Backpack Hunt

I'd appreciate it. I was at 79lbs, but that was with only 4 liters of water, but included my sidearm, but no spotter. Definitely need to lighten my load as it kept me from getting as far back in as I would have liked. I've already got a running list on where I think I can make the biggest weight savings and will start doing some comparison shopping in a few weeks when my schedule slows down a bit to see where I can get the most cost effective savings.

• Like 1

I'd appreciate it. I was at 79lbs, but that was with only 4 liters of water, but included my sidearm, but no spotter. Definitely need to lighten my load as it kept me from getting as far back in as I would have liked. I've already got a running list on where I think I can make the biggest weight savings and will start doing some comparison shopping in a few weeks when my schedule slows down a bit to see where I can get the most cost effective savings.

Sent you a PM.

Anyone who goes thru that kinda hard work between scouting and hunting has earned my respect! Great job!!!

On your scouting trips place 1 gallon containers of water where you plan to hunt/camp, I also put my freeze dried food etc. in a bag and lift it up in a tree to reduce the weight/bulk. I have also set up camp prior to opening day, cut wood, tent, sleeping gear all ready to go.

That was my plan, but due to a major project at work, I didn't have a day off until last week that I was able to go scout, and the whole day was spent trying to find good access points. I had water with me had I found good access early on in the day, but I never actually found my access point on that trip. I ended up going in blind on opening morning. Still managed to find 30 deer in 3 days until I ran out of water, so I'm not complaining. Was a good trip, learned a lot on the gear side, but still want to be able to pack into my glassing spot I found on my maps. Just can't do that with a 70+lb pack. I'd get myself killed trying to go up the cliffs with that much weight.

Great right up. In nature we do what we have to do. I'm titling your story A Man Named Deer.

Very cool story!

Great story. I've always wanted to do a backpack hunt. Out of curiosity, do you use a hiking stick? We've found them to be invaluable to stabilize. When I'm still hunting, I use it to quickly glass too. But on a hike like that, it saves a lot of wear and tear your legs.

Very cool story! Have you ever considered picking up a DeLorme Inreach Explorer or SE? I can tell you that thing makes me feel a WHOLE lot better when I'm out in the backwoods. I became such a sissy once my daughter was born. I love the fact that I can hit a button and have a direct line of communication with S&R. Not really afraid of situation I'll get myself into, but after two ACL tears in my right knee and aging body (I'm 33 going on 60 haha) I feel much better knowing someone can be notificed if I get too hurt.