Sign in to follow this  
huntscout

Jumping the fence?

Got a question for any of you that may have some experience hunting buffalo on the North Kaibab. Do the buffalo actually jump the fence bordering 12A and the National Park or do they use breaks in the fence or low spots that are easier to cross? I can't picture a 1500-2000 pound bull jumping a barbed wire fence, but maybe that's what they do. Any experienced buffalo hunters out there with an answer?

Not that this is a buffalo but I was working bucking shutes in Butte, Montana one summer and watched a full grown bull named Hanging Rattle clear a portable panel like it wasn't even standing there.......great big animal cleared the fence and put the crowd into a scamper!!!

If you look on the game and fish website in hunting\game species\bison it says "Bison are also capable of jumping over 6 foot high fences without touching the fence."

fast forward to about 2:40

looks like they cant clear a 3 foot fence but maybe with a adrenaline they could

I don't think Buffalo give much thought to barb wire. Like others said they go where they want to go. if you can push a top wire down to step over it they can pretty much just walk thru it.

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks for all the great feedback. Loved watching those big brutes hop that fence. Just amazing! i didn't realize that there wasn't an actual fence along the border of the National Park up there. Good info. Thanks all.

• Like 1

On the south side it it is intact and well marked with signs, but on the north side, buffalo have pretty well leveled it. Look for the posts and wire on the ground. Get the Xmap software for your GPS, shows the border on the display. its nice to have up there.