IA Born

Veteran's Day Nov 11, 1967

I'm going to do my best to stay off of electronics tomorrow and spend the day off work with my family. I'm not sure if I'm taking my kids fishing or rabbit/squirrel hunting yet. Before I do that, I wanted to share a little story of what Veteran's Day means to my family and express a deep, heartfelt gratitude to those who have ever donned the uniform of our country and, especially, those who have seen combat. Veteran's Day was more than Veteran's Day in our house growing up. It was much deeper than that and has had a huge impact on my life and who I am today.

On November 11, 1967, my dad and his company (C/1/503rd PIR/173rd Airborne BDE Sep), as part of Task Force Black, walked into an ambush laid out by a battalion of NVA in the area of Dak To, Central Highlands, RVN. As a forward observer for his weapons platoon (mortars), dad was part of the point element that day. It was one of the most fierce firefights of Vietnam and lasted through the next day. Dad was one of the first wounded when a mortar round landed 10 yards in front of them (the first landed 6 feet in front, but was a dud). Dad's company was almost overrun, but for the courage and bravery of their sister company (C/4/503/173) who fought their way through the line on Nov 12. I wont' go into all of the details that I remember from my youth, but dad lost many of his closest friends that day. As he was laying in the wounded group, an NVA soldier threw a grenade in the middle. A young PFC, John A. Barnes III, threw himself on the grenade absorbing the blast. He saved several lives, including dad's. My dad held John in his arms as he died, screaming for his mom. He was later awarded the MOH for his actions and bravery. When it was all said and done, 25 men were killed, 140+ were wounded, 25 were untouched, and 2 are MIA (KIA, body not recovered). Dad was with both of the MIA when they were killed. When it was over, his company commander was reprimanded for cussing out the Colonel in the helo flying above triple canopy trying to direct the firefight. Capt Mac told me a few years ago, before he passed away, that he had no regrets for his actions that day. His men were more important to him than his career.

All those years later, my mom, sister, and I took the brunt of his drinking, flashbacks and PTSD beginning on about Nov 8/9 and lasting until about Nov 13. No 8-9 year old boy should ever have to beg his dad to put the gun down and not shoot himself. From about 2nd/3rd grade on, that was my life until I left for college. When my older sister moved out, I took the brunt of it to protect my mom. Every year, we knew it was coming, but couldn't stop it. We just took it. Unlike my sister, I stayed away from drugs and never blamed/resented my dad. I chose to love him unconditionally and help him, no matter the personal cost. Dad died as a result of a PTSD-induced heart attack on April 10, 2004, just 15 days before our oldest (our daughter) was born. It came as no surprise when, 12 years ago this past August, I was officially diagnosed with PTSD. I'm working on my own road to recovery and, while I don't miss those days one dang bit, I miss my dad every single day and I'm proud of what he and his buddies did for our country. He didn't care who you voted for or what you protested. He was proud that he helped ensure you that right. He and his buddies, including his last platoon leader and company commander, helped raise me and taught me true leadership qualities.

I always try to be outdoors doing something that was part of my dad and I's bond to honor him and bring some brightness to what was always a dark day. I shot my one and only coues buck on Nov 12, 2005 and it was a great day. If you are a military history buff and want to read about it, here is the book (Dak To) that Edward Murphy wrote. Ed is a good friend of the family, too. https://www.amazon.com/Dak-Americas-Soldiers-Vietnams-Highlands/dp/0891419101

I miss you every day, dad, but I'm glad your war is over.

To all of you veterans on here, you have my deepest gratitude and respect. To those of you who have seen combat, you and your families have my undying love. Below are some pics of dad that I have easy access to.

His jump school graduation pic.

post-4869-0-48042800-1478808654_thumb.jpg

An actual famous pic taken and used on recruiting and war bonds posters. Its how my parents met. Also used in the opening credits of Quantum Leap.

post-4869-0-30293900-1478808548_thumb.jpg

During a break in the action during a fire mission (according to the writing on the back).

post-4869-0-63575200-1478808591_thumb.jpg

During a fire mission and dad helping train new mortar platoon members. Dad's in the front without a shirt and plugging his ears.

post-4869-0-23009900-1478808720_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

Great tribute to your dad and acknowledgement to all of our veterans!

I too thank all veterans for their service to help make this the greatest country on earth!

• Like 1

Your dad is a true American hero! Too often, the struggle of families behind the soldier is over looked. I hope tomorrow is a great day for you and your family! Thanks for posting this touching story.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Thank You for sharing this piece of History...

Truth be told... kinda choked me up a little...

I had many family members in the different branches and none have seen combat on the front lines and made it home. Peace be with all the family's and men who struggle with problems related to PTSD it has affected many.

Thanks to all the veterans.

God Bless you and your family IA Born. The sacrifices that your family has made will not be forgotten, thank you for sharing. I'm a firm believer that challenges like this can make us bitter or better. My God give you grace and peace as you move forward.

Ernest

Dang Iowa, reading that really broke me up. It's terrible the price some of our soldiers and their families pay for our freedom, and then I turn on the news and see idiots marching burning flags... Ohh, man, it makes me so pissed off I could strangle those fools with me bare hands!!!

I'm sorry for the cost and loss to you and your family. Know that most of us appreciate it and mourn with you. And those who don't aren't worth the crap their made out of.

• Like 2