Last year I had a late hunt permit. Unfortunately, living in Texas, I don't get a chance to scout and so I have to blow the first few days checking old spots and finding new ones. I did finally find a spot that had 12 bucks with 3 in the 100 pt range. I had a stalk on one, but he snuck out, but I ran out of time as I had to get back to Texas. However, I kept the GPS track which proved to be invaluable this year.

Friday, we hunted together and saw two smaller bucks ... A forkie and a spike. We went back to Tucson to watch the UofA v UCLA volleyball game and formulate a plan for the next day. I generally like to trophy hunt holding out for 90+. (If my only goal was just too kill one, I'd just hunt over a feeder in Texas, but i love the challenge of taking a mature buck). My dad doesn't mind taking the first thing he sees, so we decided to split up the next day. My guess was that the bigger bucks were at the top in the early hunts where it's cooler.

On Saturday, we woke up at 2:45a, left town at 3:15a. Started our hike at 5:10a by flashlight and GPS. My dad is 79, so we took an easy pace. I left him a little further down the canyon to hunt anything that the camps below may push up. Normally we sit about a half hour before daylight. It took me 2 hours to get over the top. By that time, there was already enough light to see, so I was working really slow, glassing as I went. I quietly reached my spot and set up. Got everything ranged. It was pretty breezy that morning. I had my tripod set up and was about to settle in to start glassing, when I heard rocks clattering. The buck must've winded me and while he couldn't pinpoint me, he was getting the heck out of there. He went right by one of the rocky bluffs that I had ranged. I set my styrofoam pad up on my tripod for a stable shooting platform and followed him with the rifle. At 290ish yards, he stopped and gave me a clean shot broadside. I took one shot that went through both front shoulders. He lunged forward then started rolling down the hill.

I lost the g-3 time on the right side when he rolled down the hill ... Or he might've lost it earlier. Because he was running, I couldn't determine if he was one of the big ones from last year. I could see he was pretty decent, so i let fly. Too bad about the missing tine and I was sort of hoping he'd have some more mass, but it was a pretty clean hunt.

Shot him at 7:15, but didn't get him back to the truck until 5:30p. It was hot out there. I was quite a ways back. Tough footing. I hunt with a decent amount of weight. Drug him off the really bad part of the canyon, but the the rest, I had to make two trips with pack and rifle then go back and get the deer. When I got to my father's level, I was out of water. My dad took my pack and headed back to the truck. I didn't realize how gassed I was. I was still about a half mile away when I had him bring me another water and a sandwich. We eventually split the deer in half and he took the hind quarter. Still impressed that my father at 79 can still do these things with me. Saved my bacon that day.

Next time, that big and that far back, I think I'll just de-bone.

post-4881-0-76954900-1479185401_thumb.jpg

post-4881-0-54652800-1479185456_thumb.jpg

post-4881-0-58964300-1479185490_thumb.jpg

post-4881-0-52985200-1479185557_thumb.jpg

post-4881-0-81302100-1479185659_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Nice Buck! Great write up! Enjoy the time with Dad! Hunting with family makes the best memories!

Congrats!

Super nice buck.

Now put your shirt on I'm getting jelly lol

Nice buck that's is great that you and your dad are still hunting together with him being 79

Sweet buck man! Congrats!

Thanks all. He always says if you don't use it, you lose it and at his age if he doesn't do something physical, he feels a big difference in a few days. I do this and bowl Nationals with him every year. I like to think that it gives him incentive to stay healthy and fit while we enjoy the things we've always enjoyed together.

• Like 2

Great write up and kudos to you and your dad. I tagged along on a hunt in the same unit earlier this year and it looks like you covered some of the same ground, kicked my butt too.

Work prevented me from making it back down for my hunt last week but that's the way it goes sometimes.