Sign in to follow this  
AZHUNTER05

What does your "long range" hunting rifle way?

I built a 7mm, 14.5 lbs.

7mm Rem Mag

Predator action

Stiller 20 moa rail

Jewel trigger

Bartlein barrel - Light palma countor (28")

Seekins detachable box magazine

AICS Magazines

McMillan A5 stock

NF 5x22-56 moar reticle (Gun Werks)

NF Scope Sunshade

Seekins Precision Scope Rings

Flatline Ops Sniper Anti Cant bubble

Atlast Bipod

hand loads bullets/brass/primers (195 gr Berger VLD, Nosler brass, CCI BR2)

Gun Werks BR2 range finder

That's good - A Creedmore is nowhere near 1,000 yard hunting capable. Not enough horsepower...

The better question for you is to start from the start. What are you capable of and what is your maximum range for hunting?

Absolutely not true we have killed two bears over a 1000 with 6 and 6.5Creedmoor

And multiple deer close to it . It's all shot placement

• Like 5

That's good - A Creedmore is nowhere near 1,000 yard hunting capable. Not enough horsepower...

The better question for you is to start from the start. What are you capable of and what is your maximum range for hunting?

Absolutely not true we have killed two bears over a 1000 with 6 and 6.5Creedmoor

Curious Beardaz, what's the energy on the 6.5 bullet you guys killing with at 1000?

Brotherman, that's super but even with the highest BC bullet on the market in the 6.5 CM at ( ELD-M .697) at about as fast as you can run them (2700 is way pushing it), your impact at that distance is below what manufacturers call optimum bullet performance. In other words you are on your own....A 143 ELD-X numbers are way worse....

Asking for a rodeo my man and it ain't all about shot placement when a bullet doesn't do what it should do. It'll die but you'll be walking grids all over the mountain for a week....

"Energy" at 1K with a .697 at 2700 is under 1K but energy means nothing...

Have fun -

The 143 eldx has 740lbs energy at 1000 and is moving at 1500 feet per second out of a 6.5 creedmoor more than enough juice. a .45 acp out of the muzzle is about 400lbs energy.

• Like 1

I'm not understanding your shot placement theory Big or Bust. You can shot a animal at 100 yards in the guts with a 300 RUM and you will be gridding the mountain for days also. It's all about shot placement. 10 yards or 1000 yards if you don't hit them in the right spot they are not going to die.

Even at 700ft pounds the eld x still fully opens I've seen it multiple times and recovered the bullets to prove.. most people love big heavy bullets and I've see it multiple times they just blow threw.I've shot a antelope at 1175 shooting 168vlds out of a 7saum and first shot blew right threw and 2nd followed. This is still with 1200 ft pounds energy of energy the bullets never opened now if it was bigger game heaveir cape etc the heavier jacketed bullets will open fine. But I believe there is a fine line between to heavy of a bullet on smaller game. To were they blow threw until you get to the 2500ft pound+ range were the bullet doesn't need to open the energy alone creates enough damage.

I shot a coues buck this year in az at 700 yards with the 6.5 Creedmoor and literally dropped it in its tracks it never took one step the bullet opened flawless and it did its job.

With that said I got back from Mexico last Sunday on Saturday I shot the biggest buck to date for me in the teens and I used a friend's 7saum I built him at 675 yards 2000ft pounds it was thick brush and he gave me a great shot I hit the deer and him jumped about 6' and looked to pile up in the brush in front of him after two hours of glassing for my buddy we went down there and all we could find was piles of dark blood I tracked it till I could not find blood and started circling kicking the buck out of a bed with no shot he blew out of there.. spending 6hours trying to put a kill on him.

With that said Im confident the 7 was a threw shot.

Ive watched buddy's dump deer 900+ with 6cm multiple times because the bullets just explode

So I'm sorry I have to argue with you out of respect I've seen it multiple times and I would have zero problem shooting deer at 1000 and elk inside 600 with a cm obviously the faster you shoot the 6.5 bullet the better in saum or bigger etc

There are velocity thresholds where bullets behave by design and then don't. Impacts too slow often will cause many bullets not to upset, or expand. Manufacturers publish this stuff. Bullets are better now than the used to be. I've seen a few eldx and eldx critters now. Behave about like an Amax.

How many wound channels have you seen with a bullet impacting flesh between 1300-1600 fps? I've seen more than a few. Not impressive.

All I'm saying is if you hunt critters with cartridges and bullets beyond their impact range rodeos are gonna increase, even with perfect placement, and exits are gonna be rare. Walking to impact spot with no critter or sign at 1,00 yards turns into a rodeo more times than not. Seen it too many times.

Don't take my word for it. Do some reading. Get out a bit more.

The Creed is a nice cartridge, absolutely the current fad, but it isn't a magic killing machine.

Guys I'm not saying don't do it, heck it's a free country. Just everything has limitations and realms of performance regardless how good of a shooter you are.

Do some reading.Get out a bit more? This is why I don't try and have a conversation on social media anymore. Do you know me? Why would you make such a stupid comment? Just glad I didn't waste anymore time on debating you.

Im not arguing I would almost guarantee that is damage from energy and not bullet expansion what I'm saying is there is a happy medium!to were a ton of energy is gonna be devastating now take a 168 vld berger at half the energy it's gonna blow threw thin game animals but not have the energy to turn him to jello. You guys are not understanding what I'm saying there are two devastating ways to cause damage and that's energy and bullet expansion. And all I'm saying is you don't need a 300rum to kill deer at a 1000 yards. And no I'm not a cm poster boy I've been shooting long range and comps well before the cm owning and building rifles from 6mm to .408 and enjoy them all .. but a 6.5 thin jacketed bullet will open at lower velocity as we're the 7mm an 30s blow threw there ushally just isnt enough there to open them on deer and most small animals I've seen it over and over. Or shoot them fast enough with enough energy to turn them to jello

Im not arguing I would almost guarantee that is damage from energy and not bullet expansion what I'm saying is there is a happy medium!to were a ton of energy is gonna be devastating now take a 168 vld berger at half the energy it's gonna blow threw thin game animals but not have the energy to turn him to jello. You guys are not understanding what I'm saying there are two devastating ways to cause damage and that's energy and bullet expansion. And all I'm saying is you don't need a 300rum to kill deer at a 1000 yards. And no I'm not a cm poster boy I've been shooting long range and comps well before the cm owning and building rifles from 6mm to .408 and enjoy them all .. but a 6.5 thin jacketed bullet will open at lower velocity as we're the 7mm an 30s blow threw there ushally just isnt enough there to open them on deer and most small animals I've seen it over and over. Or shoot them fast enough with enough energy to turn them to jello

So you guys wanna see a wound channel? I haven't posted this before for obvious reasons, but here you go. this was a 526 yard shot. 285gn AMAX out of my 338 Lapua. Needless to say, he didn't take another step.

post-63-0-38653300-1482343226_thumb.jpg

• Like 4