Sign in to follow this  
AZHUNTER05

What does your "long range" hunting rifle way?

.308 210 Berger HVLD @ 2960fps MV into a coyote at 100 yards. To say that a .308 heavy doesn't open on smaller game is laughable.

20151201_140408_zpsuh6rixjd.jpg

• Like 3

.308 210 Berger HVLD @ 2960fps MV into a coyote at 100 yards. To say that a .308 heavy doesn't open on smaller game is laughable.

When out dove hunting didn't you say you found pieces of it up in the tree's???

Even at 700ft pounds the eld x still fully opens I've seen it multiple times and recovered the bullets to prove.. most people love big heavy bullets and I've see it multiple times they just blow threw.I've shot a antelope at 1175 shooting 168vlds out of a 7saum and first shot blew right threw and 2nd followed. This is still with 1200 ft pounds energy of energy the bullets never opened now if it was bigger game heaveir cape etc the heavier jacketed bullets will open fine. But I believe there is a fine line between to heavy of a bullet on smaller game. To were they blow threw until you get to the 2500ft pound+ range were the bullet doesn't need to open the energy alone creates enough damage.

I shot a coues buck this year in az at 700 yards with the 6.5 Creedmoor and literally dropped it in its tracks it never took one step the bullet opened flawless and it did its job.

With that said I got back from Mexico last Sunday on Saturday I shot the biggest buck to date for me in the teens and I used a friend's 7saum I built him at 675 yards 2000ft pounds it was thick brush and he gave me a great shot I hit the deer and him jumped about 6' and looked to pile up in the brush in front of him after two hours of glassing for my buddy we went down there and all we could find was piles of dark blood I tracked it till I could not find blood and started circling kicking the buck out of a bed with no shot he blew out of there.. spending 6hours trying to put a kill on him.

With that said Im confident the 7 was a threw shot.

Ive watched buddy's dump deer 900+ with 6cm multiple times because the bullets just explode

So I'm sorry I have to argue with you out of respect I've seen it multiple times and I would have zero problem shooting deer at 1000 and elk inside 600 with a cm obviously the faster you shoot the 6.5 bullet the better in saum or bigger etc

The creedmoor what bullet did you shoot?

I've had amazing success with the new Hornady ELDX 143 out of my Creedmoor. I feel about 800 should be the limit with my bullet/Velocity combination. At 800 I will have 1800 Velocity and 1030 Energy. I'm pretty sure the manufacturer says 1800 velocity for proper expansion. I could probably stretch it for a follow-up shot, but I wouldn't want to go much further for my primary shot. Too each his own...

When out dove hunting didn't you say you found pieces of it up in the tree's???

8' up in the trees behind, and at least 40' back on the ground.

• Like 1

Poor doggy.. 300 rum 8.5lb, 25x Zeiss hd5 , thumb hole stock, glassed, brake, trigger job, 165grain Barnes x. Kenton turrets in yards. 800 yards Al day long and hopefully tomorrow. Don't think I can pass up to many more 110" bucks

Why dont you show your gut shot deer shot at long range with a pea shooter? Oh, you couldnt find it. :wacko:

• Like 1

Funny thing is you guys are gonna argue but this is damage from energy not bullet expansion the energy alone would suck that dog inside out. I'm not hear to argue. A cm opens enough to do damage and a rum has enough energy to turn it to jello if you don't understand I can't help ya keep shooting the big guns and keep blowing deer in half its plenty effective

• Like 1

^^^

Does anybody have a link to show real results or studies on these matter. I believe in this order on how bullets should be looked at.

1. Shot placement

2. Bullet construction

3. Energy

For the perfect shot I believe all three need to come together. For example Lances pour yote see above. BeardAZ if his bullet was constructed a solid steel bullet, expansion would of not of happen and pencil through. The energy behind it would cause a good 1-1/4 hole. (my belief only) A well constructed bullet while expanding with energy is going to expand the energy wider due to the expansion of the bullet. Go ahead and shoot an apple with a .22 solid point. It shoots right through with a thumb size hole on the other side. Shoot it then with a hollow point .22 and watch the back half of the apple explode.

People on here only report of what they have seen. But it would be nice a magazine company or website company do a third party shoot out and see how bullets compare in a lot of scenarios. That would be a awesome write up.

In defense of the Berger I have seen more bullets written about not working at longer range. Bullet slows down and doesn't expand the way its suppose to. My buddy shot his elk (good shot placement) at 750 yards dropped and then got back up again. (never to be found). He shot it with a 30-378, 230 grain Berger. At 700 yards energy is the same as a .270 at 100 yards. But I seen Bergers and seen lots of write ups about bergers expanding like a champ at closer shots. Even Berger website shows the gelatin reaction of their shots. Nosler accubond LR are opposite. People have written (i have not seen it yet myself) about how well it expands at slower speeds but just pencil threw at fast speeds.

Lots of variables that happens with bullets, to fast, to slow, no energy, not enough, bullet construction, BC, and shot placement. But to say one is all you need to worry about is silly in my mind.

Funny thing is you guys are gonna argue but this is damage from energy not bullet expansion the energy alone would suck that dog inside out. I'm not hear to argue. A cm opens enough to do damage and a rum has enough energy to turn it to jello if you don't understand I can't help ya keep shooting the big guns and keep blowing deer in half its plenty effective

Personally, I don't shoot deer with my .300RUM. Too much damage. I use a .257/6.5 bullet. .25-06 AI, .260 Rem, 6.5 SLR. If I was shooting 900+, I would switch to my 7RM or .300RUM. But again, I want both retained energy, speed, and better BC/weight to make those shots. I would not use my .257/6.5mm rounds for 800+ shots. Even though I know the rifles could easily make the shots. I just haven't had the need to shoot that far on game up to this point. My 14 year old daughter actually has the longest shot in the house on big game, at 637 yards. My longest shot is 488 on big game, but I do have a 1327 yard coyote under my belt. .250 AI pushing a 100 SMK @ 3100fps.

The 7RM and .300RUM are my elk rifles. And I can say they work phenomenally with proper shot placement. Even with "Match (not intended for hunting)" yellow box bullets. 7mm 180 Hybrid @ 3000fps & .308 215 Hybrids @ 3100fps both took elk this year with authority.

• Like 1