Sign in to follow this  
Coueshunter77

Planning 2017 high country mule deer hunt

I want to do a high country mule deer hunt in 2017. I want to do an early season archery hunt so the bucks are still in velvet and I want to do an archery hunt. Are there any states that have any OTC hunts or easy draw hunts where I could do this? Has any one here done a hunt like this and is it feasible? feel free to pm me

I haven't looked into it real recently, but I believe you can get otc archery tags in a lot of the northwestern states like Oregon, Washington and Idaho. Never done it myself, but I plan on putting into the the colorado draw for a southwestern unit next year. Currently I'm planning on a solo trip, but if you'd be interested to partner up, let me know and we can talk about it and arrange a face-to-face meeting at some point.

I just hunted in this area for the OTC gen. elk hunt this year. We got skunked on elk, but saw some amazing country and there's some real good high country bucks within 8 hours drive of phoenix.

• Like 1

az but its really not "HIGH COUNTRY"

we hunted co in the following units for rifle elk with a 4point or better deer tag back in the 80s and 90s otc tags

white river area, grand mesa, and whenimucha wilderness area. all good for deer. we back packed in and took friends horses on one hunt inside whenimuchi

we always saw tons of big deer but always after the rifle part of the season closed. They have or used to have early archery in there as well.

would love to go back to grand mesa in the next year or 2 with my daughter its a blast, Trout fishing is also off the hook there as well

• Like 1